Power steering pulley

OneFastBird

I'm trying to remove the power steering pulley, so that I can get to the bracket in behind it to remove everything. I grabed my 2-jaw pulley puller to get the pulley off and I noticed that it wasn't working and that it was just bending the pulley, so then I went and grabed my book on working on the t-bird and it showed a puller like I've never seen before. Just wondering if there's any other way to get this pulley off or where I can get one of these tools at. Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Harbor Freight sells it too. Make absolutely sure that the kit you get includes both puller and installer. (You really can't get it back on without the installer.)

Autozone does not rent the correct puller for the CS-II pump. Though you can buy it for like $15.

What's a CS-II pump? Is that the Motorcraft designation?

A 2x4 ?! That's adventurous. :) I wouldn't recommend it, though - I would worry about damaging the pump internals.

Advance Auto loaned me the proper tool recently. I own the Harbor Freight one, but I damaged the puller screw removing the pulley and I am still waiting for my replacement part.

You can put the pulley back on with a good bolt and nut of the proper thread size. If you have warped the pulley, it may be time for a new one. You might also try a long handled swivel head ratchet and deep socket, works great, lot less work.

S_Mazza said:
What's a CS-II pump? Is that the Motorcraft designation?

A 2x4 ?! That's adventurous. :) I wouldn't recommend it, though - I would worry about damaging the pump internals.

Advance Auto loaned me the proper tool recently. I own the Harbor Freight one, but I damaged the puller screw removing the pulley and I am still waiting for my replacement part.

Yes CS-II model name Ford gives it (CS-III is for the 4.6).

The one's Advance and AutoZone were loaning me would have removed it if could have gotten it in the engine bay (well of my 5.0).

these pumps are tempermental and delicate, hitting it with a 2x4 will greatly increase the likelyhood of early replacement.
AutoZone will have the puller and installer for rent.

On all my cars I drilled a hole big enough to get a half inch extension though the bracket. No need to take off the pully anymore unless your replacing the pump. Might seem like a lot of work but trust me you will be back in there to fix something:rolleyes:

Back