crankcase pressure

spetz01

OK the new motor only has 200 miles on it and has run in the driveway lots for tuning and the like. I'm on my third oil change..went to synthetic on the third after the rebuild oil was taken out right after the first fire up. Only put 50 or so miles on the second change.

When the car is running and hot and I pull the dipstick up its like a steaming kettle. It of course disapears when I remove the oil fill cap. The PVC is new but I think its something else. The PVC routes into the rear plenum right? Does that not run a vacume that would lessen the crank pressure? And I know the drivers valve cover ducts back over the the intake.

Have my rings not set up yet? Because when I get into the gas and lots of boost is when I really notice the oil smell. (Boost past the pistons??)

Yah in fact I had a hard time finding one. And when he pulled the numbers he came up with a push in 90 and a straight thread in. Mine takes the 90.

I was thinking about a small breather instead of the oil cap.

An engine, most times, takes more than 200 miles to break in. At the very least 500 miles. Also I wouldn't use synthetic oil untill after that. Maybe when everyone else settles in from the shootout they can shed some more light with their own experience.

So I bought a Eldlbrock valve cover breather for 10 beans yesterday and crammed it into the oil fill spout. It's vented and chrome looks pretty good in place of the oil fill cap, matches the air intake. I hope this fixes the pressure problem....

But as i drove a little last night I am noticing a gas smell when I sit at red lights. I'm pretty sure I have a leak on the lower intercooler flange. That inside bolt is a pain to get on.

A breather will allow un-metered air into the intake and will probly make your car run lean, which is bad news.

My new engine smelled of oil when I got on it too. I have a blow-by kit on and noticed oil shooting into it when cranking the engine. I have a new OEM PCV valve too.

where does the blow by kit install?

I guess I'll try it again without the vented cap and see if the gas smell disappears.

Back