2006 Shootout!!!!!

coolhand

Well, I got to attend my first, and certainly not my last, S/C Shootout. You folks are gonna have to make a concerted effort to be there next year. Check some of the other posts in the forums for pics and results. The S/C contingent was well represented by Ed and Bruce. Ed won his class, and Bruce made a valiant effort. I was so impressed by the scope of cars. Just to see the parking lot, jammed with S/C's and LX's of every shape, variety, and colour was so cool. Even my sorry ~~~ car didnt look to far out of place amongst them. The trip down with Bruce was semi-uneventful. Got caught in a sweep at the border (scared the crap out of BEV), got lost just exiting DETROIT (that was thrilling), passed 3-4 Sunocos (much to Bruces chagrin-my eyes arent as good as they used to be). Friday night was filled with the normal parking lot shenannigans as it filled with S/C's and the odd LX. Fluids were flowing both from the sky and the occasional bottle. Saturday dawned ominous but the rain held off all day to allow for an impressive Car Show and Dyno Day(at Precision Motorsports?) Saturday evening dinner at Quaker Steak and Lube ( hell of a turn out-though some issues with the ribs!!!!) followed by another evening of parking lot racing and good times.
The Gods were shining on us weatherwise for Sunday, though I am sure many would have preferred a colder temp. A sea of activity in the pits, impact wrenches, tires flying, parts exchanging, laptops buzzing but organized so as to be so smoooooth. Tech was simple and fast. Made a lot of runs against some fast, fast cars. Broke into the 15's(high). Met some of the people whose names I have seen repeatedly. Treated like a member of the club. Lost my bracket race on a RED(it flickered) but hit my dial-in. Had to leave for home from the track due to prior committments.
Check out all the other posts for facts and figures.

Last edited:
Hey! There's nothin' "sorry @ss" about your car, Matt. ...Er, well, it does have green interior, but besides that, it's a great specimen. ;)

At least your "sorry @ss" car was down there. Now, in my case, it was my own "sorry @ss" that prevented me from being at the Shootout. ...As is all too often the case, life gets in the way.

I'm glad to hear that you and the other SCCoO'ers that were in attendance had a great time, and a safe trip down and back.

Cheers,

Sean

Good to hear it was a good time had by all that were able to go. I would have liked to but something changed.

The shootout was amazing, nothing else you can say about it, the drive down (on 1 tank of gas) was good, Matt and Bev lead me down there, meeting all the faces of the club finally was great, Myself Dave S and John from alberta closed down the parking lot friday night and put the americans to bed, well carried one of them to bed, at 3:30 am, Ed showed up just then too. Saturday was great, sun was out, cars looked awesome, I had put some citigo 93 octane gas in the car and was nervous about doing it, but did so. I pulled 228 hp on the dyno and was disappointed huge to say the least, Ed decided to dyno his car so i offered to go get ice for him, drove around in 2nd gear at 4000rpm to burn that gas out of there before being back at the dyno where i put in some 100 octane unleaded. My starter was crapping out on me, if it wasnt for Ed and Matt, and many others getting in my car while i hammer start my junk all day sat I would have been stuck. The track was awesome, I busted off 3 back to back 14.2's so I figured my car just doesnt have it in it, first time racing on the new clutch, then for my qualifing run I hit a 13.8 with a 1.8004 60ft, backed by a 13.9 then 2 more 13.8's all 1.8-1.9 60fts. I went out in the final round to Dave S, he ran a 13.70 to my 13.85 but I beat him off the tree with a .55 light to his .62 was .0877 between us. The car made it there, was raced hard, and home, so Im more then happy.

If you can only make it out to 1 event a year, dont go to carlisle, go to the shootout, its just awesome, the entire weekend. We need to get more of us down there, all weekend thats all i heard from the american guys were are you ontarians!.

Canada represents at the 06 SC Shootout

This year was the best ever, over 50 cars racing. All you pansies who backed out missed a great event.

Stock class final, Canuck vs. American resident Canuck (Dave Dalke), I managed to get past him in the final.

Super Stock final round, Dave Sabados from Medicine Hat vs. our own Bruce Burns. As Bruce said, he gave him a great run, but didn't have quite enough for Dave's high mileage monster. I think that engine has little or no internal friction with 280,000 km, that's why he can run those mid-13s. :p

So Canada comes home with 3 trophies, pretty good for only having 5 people there.

YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO BE ABLE TO ATTEND THIS EVENT NEXT YEAR.
It will be around the same time on the calender, early October. As Bruce said, a lot of people were asking where the rest of the Ontario people were ... ;)

cheers
Ed N.

Last edited:
Ed , Congratulations on your fine win. I got to watch it and was cheering like an idiot. All the other guys thought I was nuts. Bruce, I think I watched 3 passes, all done in impressive style. Dont blame me for the 93 octane:eek:
And if more of you dont go next year, something is drastically wrong!!!!!!
The Canadians might have swept the whole damned thing.

coolhand said:
The Canadians might have swept the whole damned thing.
Hey, I think that's going a little far :cool:

Anyway, it was great seeing you guys again and meeting some new guys.

Kurt K said:
Hey, I think that's going a little far :cool:

I know, I know. Its just my attempt at trying to get some more of these slackers to commit to next year. No offense intended. My "barge" cant be included in the power machines, so it would have been nice to see some more of the "CANUCK" power in attendance.
BTW, there where some awesome machines there.

next year

Congrads to all that went to the shoot out ......Anyone know what it will cost to get into Fort America next year ...have they set a price on this passport /what ever it's going to be called thing yet ..I can finally get my liecence back now ....dave

Congrats to everybody's new PB's. Sounds like an amazing time. I am going to try everything I can to go next year. I am going to start saving now. I should have my race car done by then.

MercsSC said:
Congrads to all that went to the shoot out ......Anyone know what it will cost to get into Fort America next year ...have they set a price on this passport /what ever it's going to be called thing yet ..I can finally get my liecence back now ....dave

Dave, passports won't be needed until 2008 at the earliest for land travel into the U.S., possibly 2009. There is a vote going before the U.S. Senate to delay the implementation for land travel. Air travellers will need one for 2007 as far as I know.

cheers
Ed N.

Yeah... couldn't make it this year.

Had other things already planned and I've been dropping all my $$$'s into getting my LX back up to snuff.

Sigh... well, at least I haven't crossed the $10K mark in total outputted $$$'s on the car. Pretty close now though.

One other sign that you like your car too much. :)

Hopefully next year!

Rob

Back