#14 wire fan mod (crude diagram included)

Loaded87IROCZ

I'm just wanting to double check that i did this right. From what i understand clipping the #14 wire will cause the low speed setting on the fan to be on when the car is on, but if the temp goes high enough to where the computer turns on the high speed setting, it puts to high of a load on the fan. Is this correct? I have also read that splicing the IRCM side of the clipped #14 wire into the #17 wire will switch the low speed off when the high speed is on. Is this diagram correct? Thanks!
fanmod.jpg

I just cut coating of 17 and ground it high on all the time going on 4 yrs now no problems so far but i am running a tourus fan and motor it blows more air than sc unit.

i use the low speed fan all the time via a switch, havent touched my car in yrs, but has been efficent enough to not need a high speed. Its been said using high speed only without using low speed first will wear out the motor. so why not just use low speed ;)

Alex

Loaded87IROCZ said:
I'm just wanting to double check that i did this right. From what i understand clipping the #14 wire will cause the low speed setting on the fan to be on when the car is on, but if the temp goes high enough to where the computer turns on the high speed setting, it puts to high of a load on the fan. Is this correct? I have also read that splicing the IRCM side of the clipped #14 wire into the #17 wire will switch the low speed off when the high speed is on. Is this diagram correct? Thanks!
fanmod.jpg

Here is a diagram of how to wire it for control of both the high and low speed fan settings, and it will also allow the EEC settings to stay functional if you screw up and set the fan start temps too high. It will also shut down the low speed when high speed is turned on.

fan%20relays.jpg

David

SuperCoupeSC91 said:
i use the low speed fan all the time via a switch, havent touched my car in yrs, but has been efficent enough to not need a high speed. Its been said using high speed only without using low speed first will wear out the motor. so why not just use low speed ;)

Alex
yeah here in so calif it gets hot real hot 104-114 so high works great for me in winter i let it run itself but in summer i flip my toggle to high fan all the time .

i also am not running stock radiator mines a amc unitwider and more cores than a sc unit and mmy condenser radiator is small one from explorer.

but hey mine starts on high from get go and its used when i got it now 5 yrs on it since i got it from a early taurus.

didnt shorten its life any.

Back