ABS Pump runs with key off

Don Knapp

Hi
I have and 89 SC 5sp. My problem is with the ABS I have read many of the problems others have had but I seam to have a new twist to the problem. When I shut the car off the ABS pump will still run. Some times it will stop but then start running again later until it kills the battery. I had it in the Ford Dealer they said they could fix it with a flush. Every thing was fine for about two weeks now things are worse. The Pump still runs with the key off and now I periodically get the ABS and Brake lights will driving. I know I can replace the whole assembly but what concerns me is the running with the key off. I always have to pull the ABS fuse to have the peace of mind that my Battery won’t be dead nest time I try to start it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don

Probably the ABS pump motor relay sticking. You could try replacing the relay. Its located on the passenger side of the engine bay back by the firewall, next to the EEC and ARC test connectors. The relay will be dark brown. Go to an Advanced or AutoZone and ask for a GP Sorrenson MR120 relay.

Yep,

Mine did the same thing a few months ago and drained my battery while I was at work. Replaced the relay with one from Advance Auto and it has worked fine ever since.

I took the old relay apart and found the contacts burnt to the point where they stuck together sending voltage to the ABS Pump Motor all the time.

Replace your relay ASAP!
It's about 1/100th the cost of a new Pump Motor Assembly from Ford!

Relay

You can hear the pump running?, is it the mechanism in the rear deck or somewhere else? My battery is draining also but I am not sure that I hear anything still on. I have just had the EEC replaced and some other relays because of a short but the problem that I brought it in for was fixed, now it is still draining the battery.
Thanks

I have replaced the seliniod and every thing seams to be working fine now.

Yes before I replaced the seliniod I could hear the pump running. when the ignition was off.

Don

Back