Car idles but when I touch the throttle it dies.

ScrapSC

Alright... Got the car started and idling... had to repin the tranny wiring harness but now it starts from the key switch. Checked fuel pressure and it is good.

The problem I am having is that as soon as I touch the throttle to ease it up in the rpm it dies. The car will not take any fuel. Everytime I start it it will idle but as soon as I touch the throttle it will barely rev and then dies.

Vacuum leak? That's what I'd check off the bat. Probably running way lean. Do you get a check engine light?

Well I have checked all over the engine for a vaccum leak and havent been able to run one down. The car has 60lb injectors and running the MPIII... The tune on the car is for the 42lb injectors. After start up the fuel pressure is at 36lbs. I did notice that sometimes it is harder to start... almost like to much timing.

One question I have is, does the BHJ balancer have a set way the crank trigger is on? I took this off to clean it up due to the rust and then put it back on. I just lined up the bolt holes on the back and put it back together.

I have even pulled the vaccum lines on the throttle body except for the PCV and plugged them off to see if there was a leak on down the line. Helped zero. I also swapped out the coil pack just to see if that might be it also. Didnt help any either.

Most often when a car dies at the onset of throttle it's getting way too much fuel. You are basically flooding the motor. Most likely the plugs are terribly fouled as well and won't continue to start and run much longer.

You can't run a car with 60lb injectors without the proper MAF and tune.

So do you make house calls dave???? LOL It will idle but just as soon as you touch the throttle it will rev just a bit and then die and at times backfire. I was thinking timing could be off but have mad double sure the cam sensor was correct and also the crank sensor is new.... Was thinking along the lines that it was a possible fuel issue due to the large size injectors but didnt know. I did notice that even when idling at times there are some blue flames coming out the open headers.... That is why i was thinking of the fuel issue...

60lbs without a tune could be an issue. Try starting without the MAF connected so the computer quits playing with things and will run off defaults.

I'd pull the plugs to verify the rich condition. I'd imagine you smell it out the tail pipe as well.

I'd contact Dave directly through his e-mail or phone and talk about tuning. He should be able to get you a starter chip to get things running if you can give him specifics on what your car has. With a wide band sensor he might even be able to tune you remotely after a few different tweaks. Give him a call.

I have already got the SCT chip and the car was tuned by Dave with the old setup of MPII and 42lb'ers. I have changed out the 42's for 60's and added the MPIII. It will also have the alky. So that is another whole issue....

I think I have the same issue, just looking for any updates here? I am thinking calibration will fix my problem. It runs fine but if I let the rpms come back down to idle it boggs down and stalls out every time unless I feather the throttle and slowly let the rpms settle. All sensors seem to be doing their job and I have properly adjusted the idle and throttle position sensor.

Fuel pressure is set at about 36-37.5 psi. Plugs are a little sooty, so I'm thinking that I am running too rich. I don't know if I should turn the fuel pressure down anymore, with my 60lb. injectors. No vacumm leaks found when I pressurized the system or when I ran the car and sprayed vaccum spots with carb cleaner.

car drives and runs fine until I put the clutch in to come to a stop, then the rpms come down and stall me out. The car will start right up and idle just fine, but the second I blip the throttle........

Last edited:
I'm thinking way tooo rich. I've got a low idle after loaded situation on my standard tune that Dave has tweaked for me. He said that the idle issue was likely due to me running safe, i.e. very rich.

I've got to install the chip here tonight and I'll see how the revised tune goes.

I'm thinking way tooo rich. I've got a low idle after loaded situation on my standard tune that Dave has tweaked for me. He said that the idle issue was likely due to me running safe, i.e. very rich.

I've got to install the chip here tonight and I'll see how the revised tune goes.

Mike, thats what I'm thinking also. Thats better then being way too lean though. I'll be towing it to the shootout to get it dialed in. I drove it about 40 miles tonight, drives pretty good and I figured out how to keep it from dying out on me when coming to a stop without having to feather the throttle. I just leave it in 3rd gear while slowing down until I get just under 1,000 rpm's then put the clutch in, good to go.

Charlie, battery is brand new, both wires are brand new.

You are having a totally different problem compared to Anthony. It's always best to start a new thread with stuff like this. If you want to know what happened with Anthony's car you'll need to PM him. It's a rather long story!

Back