Bushing replacement labor, Huntsville AL

Sam Woodson

Anyone know of a good place to take the Tbird to have the bushings replaced? I am considering having all the front bushings replaced as I know the Strut Rod bushings are worn, so why not do it all at once.

I called one shop and they threw out a number of $600 to $700 in labor to pull it all out and align it. Plus the $250 for the parts for the poly bushing kit.

Does that price seem reasonable for this work?

Then I have to decide if I want to spend this much on it or just sell it for less as is? I paid $6,750 for it Dec 05 and the wife wants me to get about $6k out of it. I already put over $1,500 into having other repairs done.

Thanks,
Sam
35th Anniv, 5spd, 94k miles

You aint sellin it are ya???

I am gonna be doing mine sometime before long too. I'll be doing everything I can myself, they should have a press at the hobby shop on the arsenal, if we need it... Maybe we can do it ourselves and team up on both our 35ths in a weekend?

I've been meaning to take some pics under the car, so I can come on here and identify all the bushings because I'm honestly not sure what most of them are called:eek:

I'll be gonig with the OEM type rubber ones where possible... From what I read, the poly bushings may improve handling and such and last a bit longer, but for the ride the OEM are better... However, I do have the poly IRS bushings... prolly time to check on those for that matter.

I have a new email addrss, so PM fur it... (I gots me another new job:D)

I've read the biggest prob with the poly stuff is it doesn't absorb all the energy the OEM's do, and this is transferred into the unibody structure causing cracks in the firewalls and across the body under the rear seat (if you do the rear all poly).....

I'd stick with OEM's as much as possible.

That price is outrageous.

it should cost you about 60-80 bucks from AZ for the rubber bushings. It takes about an hour to do it...if you have air tools, a little longer if you have hand tools.

Use the rubber ones, i have read and heard about the poly ones splitting in 6 months.

The way I would do it is:
mark the camber bolts on the LCA
Leave the inner bolts on the strut rods where they are
remove the outer nuts on the strut rods
remove the LCA completely
replace the inner bushings and washers
put the strut rods in
put the outer bushings on, and bolt the LCA's back in (if you put the outer washers on, the nuts will not be able to grip)
put the outer bolts on, tighten down, to pull the inner bushings in their respective place
back off the outer bolts, put the washers on, then tighten to the recommended specs.

The reason I say to leave the inner nuts where they are is because they are set at the predetermined caster from the factory.

Back