Intercooler options

tim

I was told by some of the guys at the shootout that e-bay sell good bar and plate intercoolers cheap. Anyone have any ideas on which one works best for our cars. After the shootout I am on a tight budget. I have a friend that can do whatever welding I have to have done.:D

Found one onE-bay for $300. 28.5-7-3. core is23.5-7-3. pipes are 2.5 inches. would that work good?:D

I am going to step way over my bounds here because there are so many with much more knowledge but I will give my opinion. I have been doing some reading on the subject and also some search on here. There are many differant opinions.

From what I have learned (read) the best bar and plate is vertical bar and plate intercoolers. There are more within a vertical setup versus horizontal. Smaller and more is better than larger and less. Larger does not necessarily mean better or more efficient. I have searched endlessly for a cost effective intercooler of that type with no avail. Unless you expect to spend $600 just on the IC itself. If you do the search and here is where I most likely get flamed. There is really no benefit to the HUGE intercoolers others might have over a double IC or the MP regarding gain versus size. The MP is just pricey.

A double IC is the most cost effective and efficient way if everything else is done right. And most bolt-ons wont exceed its potentional. Some people think putting this huge IC in front of an already small radiator is a good thing. The object is to gain without sacrifice.

This is what I believe to be the most efficient. It places the IC in a better location than factory. Its a vertical bar and plate, doesnt interfere with the rad like a bigger one would and its CHEAP. Now an arguement may be that the end tanks are on the top and bottom versus the ends. Add that the M90 does not require 3 inch inlet/exit tubes and you are set. 2.5 is sufficient. Personally I think its better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INTE...150041542743QQihZ005QQitemZ150041542743QQrdZ1

This one is actually better only because its 4 inches longer proving more plates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fron...320033252021QQihZ011QQitemZ320033252021QQrdZ1

Last edited:
Good cheap bar and plate IC's on Ebay?

90% of the cheap, big IC's on Ebay are tube and fin. Not that I really care, since mine is tube and fin, but bar/plate IC's of a good core size seem to have held a decent price at last check.

Micah

I am working with a guy here in town that owns an import tuner shop. I am trying to get him to build me a new proto-type FMIC for the SCs. It would mount behind the bumper cover but with space between it and the radiator. 2.5" inlet and outlets on the same side and a dual pusher fan. Trying to get him to build me one that will give at least 25 more HP for about $800 for the complete set. I am wandering; if this could be done would it be marketable on this site. Sounds alot better than $1200.

Yes, an $800 BOLT ON FMIC would be marketable. For one, people would have another option. And it wouldn't matter if your intercooler core wasn't as good of quality or as big, because your kit would be cheaper. Personally, I think you could go with a cheaper, smaller IC and still put up competitive numbers, but if it's truely front mounted, then you should consider road debris and it's ability to take a hit.

Even if your couplers and hose clamps were lesser quality and tubes were not as nice or pretty, if it was priced right then I think people would definitely opt to save $400 for the lower quality FMIC. But again, i don't think lower quality means lower performance. I think you could sacrifice a lot of quality from the magnum kit and still make good power. You just run into a durability thing at that point.

Micah

You can add a durable mesh on teh face of teh IC that will protect from rock debris and not affect airflow..Its been done many times if worries about that.

That IC shown above is a nice peice for the price

Tim I know that Micahs setup is rather nice looking. That is if you can find an Isuzu NPR cooler... the piping looked to be a great deal easier than the way I had to set mine up. Just be on the lookout for one of them.

Yeah Damon, and I've got mesh across the slots at bottom of my bumper too. Just to keep the big rocks away. But if it were bar and plate I think I'd just let whatever hit it :)

Micah

Where would i find one!! Dan no Walleye. Could I just get you a deer with my Suburban?:D

If the guy agrees, I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Of course pics would record the process as ease of installation and fitment are as important as performance.

Tim I have a front mount Volvo intercooler.
I got it from a guy that lives north on Chicago.

I have big bucks in it ,:), you can have it for
free.

:) Randy:)

I got a pretty sizable volvo 740 intercooler today, I have pics of it in my other thread because I am not sure how to use it or if the one I got was any better than my stock unit.

-Ghost

I had a Volvo intercooler. They are big but wont flow air like we need, Randy thanks for the offer. It looks like I will be going with a Costom Day Sly intercooler. It may not be the best choice but the price is right.:D

I had a Volvo intercooler. They are big but wont flow air like we need, Randy thanks for the offer. It looks like I will be going with a Costom Day Sly intercooler. It may not be the best choice but the price is right.:D

Tim the intercooler I was refuring to, was the one you gave me.:)
Randy

Back