Heater Blower troubles

DutchSCFan76

Since i have my car, the heater blower is acting quiete strange. Every now and then, it fails. When i smack the dashboard (@ the passenger side), it suddenly works fine again.

Yesterday, it quit working again. I beat the living daylights out on the dashboard, but this time no go, whatsoever :(

What should i be looking for?

Thanks,
Eelko

It sounds like the fan control unit has gone bad. The switch contacts burn and causes an intermittent fan motor. Try punching the buttons instead. I've removed and repaired one of mine several times. If you buy one from a junk yard make sure that it's better than the one you already have. Look for melted connectors or melted spots on the control box where the connector goes. They aren't too hard to replace except the vacuum hoses are too short to pull it out very far. If you try to repair a control box be careful. If it comes apart wrong the whole thing falls apart and it's trash, lots of little springs that like to pop out of place.

First off do you have have climate control? if so it could be the fan control and it located right next to the fan motor. 2 screws hold it in. Or it maybe a problem with the main power lead going to the fan is not making good contact.

On each side of the glove box there are 2 rubber tabs that keep the box door from falling down. Remove everything and push both in and bring down the door. Next turn the blower on and wiggle the main wire to see it that dose it. If not check all the wires going to the fan speed control but I will bet its just a lose wire.

The control box I was referring to is the switch box on the dash with the pushbuttons and rotary switch for the fan speed. You'll need to insert a tool into the 2 holes on either side, top and bottom, to release the catches. I've used a thick coat hanger cut and bent into a U shape, one for each side. There is also a cable on the bottom for the temperature slider that'll have to come off but it's not difficult. The hardest part is the vacuum lines. There are 2 little nuts on plastic posts that hold them on. Don't break off one of the posts or the vacuum lines won't seal and you'll lose the pushbutton switch functions. I bet I've done this a hundred times. I run my fan on high speed all the time and that tends to burnout the switch contacts.

thanks all.

I am off for inspectation. Mike, i got these din-tools (to lift the old ford radio out), so i am good with that (has the same height / size).

I'll get back with this, when i know more.

Thanks for now

Eelko

blower motor is dead

As the title mentions, the blower is dead.

I get current till the connector. Hooked the blower motor to a 12v source, and nothing. Measured with a voltmeter which also can check for short-out circuits, and also this was the case.

ITS a PITA to remove the last at the top sitting screw. I got the other 3 out, but the in-dash close-able box is sitting in the way :(

any tips to remove the blower?

thanks

Take the glove box out completely as well as the panel under it. T-10 or T-20 torx screws galore. The blower is right there in front of you at that point. There are about 6 or so screws that hold it in and the elec connector is right there. I've just replaced one over the years. It's not hard.

i removed the glove box door to the ground. but i have another in dash storage bin on top, this bin is keeping me away from removing the last screw on top :S so how do i remove this in-dash bin???

use a 7/16 combo wrech. worked for me. I have a 93 however theres a ledge where the old slider box used to be. you can push it a bit to getthe small wrench in there to get the bolet out.. Then rotate the motor so the flat part of the housing faces up tilt down and remove..

Hi
I have a 92 sc. I have changed the climate control unit in the dashboard and noting it lights up. I get no power to the fan. The fuses are good. The ignition switch was changed last year.

When I drop the glove box there are two relays. One is mounted an inch or two by the blower.

The other one is in front of it. It's half the thickness of a pack of smokes and a lot of wires on to it of it.

Now the question, which one would control the power to the heater fan? Its cold driving a car without a heater. Also what's the number of that relay?
ponyboy@optonline.net

Roy, do the wiggle test and then try a volt meter or 12 volt light bulb to make sure you have power to the main wire. Next is the fan speed control. I would try a junk yard because of cost. Need not be a SC a LX with climate control will work but you might take that relay up to your parts store and replace that first as im sure that will be the cheapest to relace. If you know how to test the relay go ahead. Here is what the fan speed control looks like. 89-93 should be the same. I know 94 up is differnt. Note >When these go out you usaly have high speed only on your fan blower.

Attachments

• 94lx red.jpg
    94lx red.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Roy, do the wiggle test and then try a volt meter or 12 volt light bulb to make sure you have power to the main wire. Next is the fan speed control. I would try a junk yard because of cost. Need not be a SC a LX with climate control will work but you might take that relay up to your parts store and replace that first as im sure that will be the cheapest to relace. If you know how to test the relay go ahead. Here is what the fan speed control looks like. 89-93 should be the same. I know 94 up is differnt. Note >When these go out you usaly have high speed only on your fan blower.

Hi there
I did change the climate control in the dashboard all ready. Is that relay the one thats right by the fan motor? Like one inch away from the motor? Do you just pull it out?
thanks For the help!!!!!!

Best bet is a salvage yard but have you checked for votage? Dose you blower run on high? Have you hooked up a positive wire from the fuse box to the blower motor it self? You might just need a new blower motor.

Back