AOD to 5-speed

debo92sc

So I have the chance to convert my sc from a AOD to a 5-speed and i had to get a opinion from everyone. My car is currently running 14.00 and i was wondering if i could expect a better time? (given i drive it right:D ). Everything im getting to do the conversion is basically free so im wondering if it would be worth the time and money i would have to spend on a mechanic to do the swap?? Last question, everything is comming out of a 95 and my car is a 92 will everything bolt up fine?? If not what parts will I need??

Compared to a stock AOD it might run a bit quicker but with a Lentech or PA built AOD it may not. I do know from experience with racing mine 2 to 3 weekends every month that speed shifting will eat up the synchro blockers which are getting in short supply. I have to rebuild my 5spds every 2 years or so. I have 2 that I alternate back and forth. If you do the conversion make sure that the clutch hydraulic line stays intact. I'm actually thinking of going the other way and switching to a builtup AOD for drag racing.

If you are looking for consistency, I wouldn't go with a 5spd. I would go for a lentech AOD.

Not only that, but you wouldn't be able to launch as hard as you would in an auto...drive line shock is harder in a 5spd, ie wheel hop.

everything will bolt up, but your looking at a lot of money to do the conversion if you pay someone to do it.

Back