Man, does my car run in the cool air!

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
If I could only get it to run this good in the heat. I'm really hoping that a new Snow meth/water system will do that for me next year. We must have had perfect air today. It was 65-75 degrees and I could have run 12.7-12.8's all day long but we have a 13.0 min. I couldn't hold it back from breaking out and then overcompensated with a 13.2 on a 13.0 dial. The run that really blew me away was the 12.789 in my 1st elimination. I was standing on the brakes between the last 2 boxes in a feeble attempt to keep from breaking out but broke out big time anyway. It would've been a personal record 12.5 something for sure if I'd stayed on it instead of braking. I also ran my 1st sub 1.8 60' times. Anybody know how to consistently slow down .2 secs or more every run? Here I've made it run solid 12's and now I've got to slow it down. I'm not quite good enough on the tree yet to move up to the Pro class.

Attachments

• timeslips 100706.jpg
    timeslips 100706.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 151
Gee, and here I was looking to take out more weight. I've been thinking of some sort of throttle stop so I can only open the TB just so far and not go full throttle. I know if I misalign the plate holding the linkage to the TB I can twist it so that the butterfly doesn't open quite all the way. It can be quite tilted and I have to take all of the slack out to get the butterfly horizontal.

Mike nice runs

"Cool weather these cars like"

Running a 13.0 min. bracket with a 12 second car its hard not to jump out best bet here is to change shift points and rpm's. I did that in Pro Gas with Ray Lucas's 427 67 4 speed Mustang in a 9.50 min. class now thats a challenge with a car that runs 8.90's.You may want to look into what the Super Gassers use with there throttle stop's get some ideas its better to have to slow it down than add power. These car's dont like the heat bracket racing them is a challenge cooling them down getting consistaint numbers. Running 12.70's and not pushing it to stay in the bracket is awesome try changing shifting points and lowering rpm's at a test & tune night get it consistaint

Last edited:
Gee, and here I was looking to take out more weight. I've been thinking of some sort of throttle stop so I can only open the TB just so far and not go full throttle. I know if I misalign the plate holding the linkage to the TB I can twist it so that the butterfly doesn't open quite all the way. It can be quite tilted and I have to take all of the slack out to get the butterfly horizontal.

You could try shifting at lower rpms.

Back in March I had the same problem. I was shifting at 5600 and ran a 12.911. So I dropped my shift light to 5300 and even shifted to 5th gear well before the finish line which usually slows me a tenth and ran another 12.911! Nothing about the 2 runs was the same except the final e.t. I dropped it to 5000 for my 1st elimination and ran a 13.25 on a 13.0 and still lost. It's amazing how quickly it runs out of 1st gear with a 5000 shift point. I guess I could always run my time trials at 5000 and see where I'm at and dial from there.

Mike good #s
I know what ya mean I took mine up to Helen Saturday and Embarassed a new GT owner on 400 during a roll on.:D Now when I have it painted it will run good AND look good.
Just need about 50 more RWHP for fun a smaller pulley, DIC and maybe Nitrous:D

I've got a spare DIC when you want one. I love to embarass the V8 guys, especially the ones with big blocks. There was a new supercharged Roush Mustang there Saturday whom I would have really embarassed had I run him. His best for the day was 13.31. My 12.78 breakout was against a 429. Granted it was in a 64 Econoline pickup but it was still a big block. I once dusted a 440 Duster and the guy was in shock back in the pits.:D I've noticed on the interstate that if someone wants to play as soon as they hear my blower start screaming they back out of it.

Last edited:
so pre cool it a water to air ic at air filter box viola iced water and air temps at oh lets say 45 deg f + a water to air after cooler thats what we use after coolers intercoolers mount in front of the supercharger . ours are after it

Manny I know you are on to something!!
Any forced induction engine you can lower charge temp will see top end gains. A water air would be nice for our cars.

Back