Engine Questions:

ecyrbh

Just removed my engine today and disassembled it.Not too bad !!. I noticed that when I removed the piston/rod assemblies that all of the compresion ring gaps were lined up but the oil rings were approx 180 deg offset but their gaps were lined up also.This engine was original and never used any oil.How is this possible? Is it possible that the comp rings can do this on their own? I also need info on decking the block,because of rust pitting, and to insure squareness.I'm sure that my heads will have to be resurfaced as well.How much can be safely removed as not to gain too much compression? I don't have a dial indicator,but it seems like the pistons are already flush with the deck. On another note,when I separated the engine from the tranny,I noticed that the heads of the flywheel bolts were shiny.I know that the TC nuts
were tight and the flywheel appeared that the nuts had never been loose.On the nose of the TC you can see where the bolts have been in contact.Is this going to be another issue for me to deal with or what? Please help, Bryce

i belive the torque converter has swollen up. and has butted against the flexplate. i heard this can cuse a thrust bearing to wear out and cause excessive crank shaft endplay.so i would probably be paying close attention to the thrust bearing.

Your torque converter has what is refered to as ballonned. You need to replace it with a Remanufactured or a new one as most replacements are modified to prevent this. This will sometimes cause a knocking noise in the motor that sounds like a rod Knock. Once I pulled a motor thinking it had a bad rod only to fond out it had a bad converter. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well,I was afraid of that.Do you think that there is any transmission damage?This car has not run in 4+ years.After dropping the pan,it has the normal sediment accumulation(no shiny metal or large chunks.Looks like front seal may have been seeping at one time.So change the TC,maybe front bushing and pump gasket to be safe.Just trying to get by as cheap as I can for now because of the complete overhaul on the engine.I know a trans rebuild may be in the future.Any help on engine matters from original post guys????

Back