Howto remove power mirror switch? '92 SC.

cdemps

My mirror switch is gummed up. I think the X spilled a coke in it.

How do I get this puppy out? Do I have to remove the door panel?

I can raise the switch body up about 1mm from the panel, but don't see any little tabs to push.

I've got a shop manual coming, but it won't be here until next week.

TIA,
Charlie

Switch

Carefully pull up the top of the panel that holds the switch and window switches. It snaps in at the top and slips in on the bottom. One the back side you'll see the tabs that keep it in place. Use a small screwdriver to slip it out of the panel and replace it. If you can't find a replacement switch, maybe we can get one at the local U - Pull - It for you?

Carefully pull up the top of the panel that holds the switch and window switches...

Thanks Mon! I'll give it a go.

I think the switch is OK, just gummy. If you push it on the down side it sticks there and gradually raises back up. Pepsi syndrome if I'm any judge of things.

Best Regards,
Charlie

OK. I got it out. Pushing the little tabs didn't help, but by raising alternate sides of the switch it finally popped out. There was barely enough slack in the wiring to disconnet the switch from the harness.

First I rinsed the switch out with warm water and dried it with 100% propanol. No joy.

Then I disassembled the switch and cleaned all the contacts. One trace on the bottom right was badly worn. Reassembled the switch. Still no joy.

The part is available from Ford for $35.00, so I ordered one. It should be here tomorrow. Well worth the $35 if I can just quit futzing with the car and drive it.

Charlie

Ive had the same problem before and my cure was to resolder the traces on the back side of the switch. Ive found that they burn out for some reason. At 35.00 thats not a bad deal though for the soldering skilled challenged.:D

S

Back