I need a lexan windshield

quick35th

Guys does anyone know of anybody that has a lexan windshield on the MN12 or a company that makes them for our cars? I need one bad for my road racer.

Shane

I believe that most of them are made for each application., unless you have a common car. If you have a local Plastic supplier, you can get your own sheet and use you Windshield as a template, you can put a bend in it by applying heat to it. How were you going to attach it? Most road race car are just screwed into place and have some supports running down it for support.

I believe that most of them are made for each application., unless you have a common car. If you have a local Plastic supplier, you can get your own sheet and use you Windshield as a template, you can put a bend in it by applying heat to it. How were you going to attach it? Most road race car are just screwed into place and have some supports running down it for support.

Thats exactly how I plan on mounting it and exactly how I plan to make my own windshield if I can not find one thats already pre-made for our cars.

Shane

Shane, I'm replacing all my glass with lexan as well.
I did some researching online about lexan.
First I'm going to replace my door windows.
A company I found wants roughly $80 shipped for 1 piece of lexan(just a piece that measures 20x44 inches), and I would need that twice....thats $160bucks. This would also be me cutting the lexan to fit like the original window.
So, I priced the same lexan in a 4x8 sheet....$125 shipped. And I can cut my front side windows, and I think I'll have enough for the back side windows.

I can try and find the link if you want?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your looking to buy a "weird" size, price what some people buy normally....it might just be cheaper.

Not all lexan is created equal..Check to see what your getting before you get it. You need a min thickness of 3/16 to be NHRA legal and make sure its scratch resistent

a "how to..." would be nice if you end up making your own! i have thought about it for years, but never hadthe guts to start.:D

Once I get some extra cash I'll be making my own. a While ago I did find a lexan windshield made by a company called 5 Star Stock Cars (atleast thats what I think it was called) but ti was something like $400. I think I could make my own for under $100 including all supplies and materials to make it work and bolt it in. I'll be sure to take pics along the way as well.

Shane

Try 5 star stock cars in twin lakes Wisconsin. Its abig company that Makes all the stuff for NASCAR.:D

Mansier - Road Racer!

Do a search on user name: Mansier

He was building a car (probably sold it by now) that I believe had a lexan windshield, but I could be mistaken. I saw the car a few times and XR7 Dave did a lot of work on it.

Do a search on user name: Mansier

He was building a car (probably sold it by now) that I believe had a lexan windshield, but I could be mistaken. I saw the car a few times and XR7 Dave did a lot of work on it.

As Miller said I baught Mansier's old car. It deffinately has a stock glass windshield in it with giant cracks in it from where Mansier let the stock hood hit the windshield.

Shane

Guys I found a local company right here in Columbus, OH that makes replacement lexan windshields along with lexan rear windshields, lexan door windows, and lexan quarter windows. So here within the month I'll have a replacement lexan windshield for my road racer.

Shane

I ordered a lexan windshield today from Clear One for $155. Its 1/8" thick blank that I'll have to trim down to fit. I'll have it tomorrow afternoon. Once I get it I'll take some pics of it and of the installation.

Shane

I ordered a lexan windshield today from Clear One for $155. Its 1/8" thick blank that I'll have to trim down to fit. I'll have it tomorrow afternoon. Once I get it I'll take some pics of it and of the installation.

Shane

Not to throw a damper on your spirits, but did you check your RR specs first?
Dont think 1/8th is SCCA legal (if that is where your racing?). Plus that is mighty thin for a front shield.

I used 1/4 on the front and 1/8 on everything else on my RR Mekur.
Tim

Not to throw a damper on your spirits, but did you check your RR specs first?
Dont think 1/8th is SCCA legal (if that is where your racing?). Plus that is mighty thin for a front shield.

I used 1/4 on the front and 1/8 on everything else on my RR Mekur.
Tim

Tim,

I do run SCCA. Locally they don't care how thick or thin it is. Thickness doesn't start to come to play until you run competitive road course racing. I don't even think on a national autocross level that they even care.

Shane

Tim,

I do run SCCA. Locally they don't care how thick or thin it is. Thickness doesn't start to come to play until you run competitive road course racing. I don't even think on a national autocross level that they even care.

Shane

Ok,
Cheers, Tim

pics pics pics pics pics:p

I'll have pics sometime tomorrow since thats when Clear One will have it ready for me. Also I'll have some pics tomorrow of the new dash as well.

Oh btw, what tool do I use to cut/trim lexan with?

Shane

Back