Exhaust Manifold Question

Black93sc

What's involved in removing the driver's side exhaust manifold from a 5 speed '93 SC? Also, where can I get new studs for the bottom of the manifold where it bolts up with the exhaust pipe flange? I was just going to drill them out and use a nut and a bolt to make the studs - but would like to get studs if I can figure out where to get some.

Thanks,
Ted

not sure about where to get the studs, but removing both the upper and lower intercooler piping allows you to get to the drivers side exhaust manifolds with GREAT ease. I think you can get to them from the bottom if you have a universal socket adapter and a couple feet of extension. You may have to drop the steering shaft to get to it fromthe bottom though. Never really tried though.

To get to it with ease as mentioned above its easiest to remove upper ic tubing, the entire front mounting bracket on the drivers side..which includes the alternator, and the power steering pump. Keep in mind you'll need a puller to remove the pulley on the power steering. Once the front bracket is off you'll be able to get the lower ic tube out. Once that is done it's easy like Sunday morning.

As for the studs, I'm sure you could make your own as long as the thread pitch is the same as what's being removed, however I can't think of a place that sells these as a direct replacement.

-Tim

Studs

Try you local parts store and have them look through their Doorman fastener books. They may have something close or a direct replacement. I always use anti-sieze on those studs to make sure they will come off again if needed.

I HATE taking off the steering pulley, u should be able to crack the bolt behind it with a long handled swivel head ratchet, then turn it out with your fingers. Unless of course you have the proper tool for it, then nevermind what I just said.

I always take my manifolds to the machine shop and for $30 you get new studs and nuts plus the labor is well worth it. The hard part is getting the manifolds off:eek:

you can get to the bolt behind the pump without taking the pulley off. I have done it many times. worst comes to worse, you can put the ratchet on ehtere, turn it as far as you can, then remove the ratchet, click it once, put it back on and turn it, take it off, advance it one click...etc...etc...etc. Last time that i had my bracket off i rilled a hole in the front of the bracket, so that with a universal joint and socket extension you can get at the bolt with ease.

best thing to do is throw that bracket in the garbage once you remove it.it's really not needed for pump support with all the bolts that hold on the accessory bracket.plus next time if your water pump goes bad you dont have remove it to change the pump.

The "HELP" section at your parts store should have an exhaust manifold stud assortment kit. You get 6 or 8 different length studs in the kit and it comes with lock washers and nuts. The studs are 3/8-16.

PS bracket

Wondered why, after all the flack about having to cut the bracket off or pull the PS pulley, why no one just simply drilled about a 3/4"/ 1" hole through the bracket for a socket on an extention. That is what I am going to do------looks like at least one (gotta be a genius :D ) beat me to it !

There are plenty of ways to drill access holes on these things. I was asking others for their opinions to see what they've experienced before I tackle the job.

Wondered why, after all the flack about having to cut the bracket off or pull the PS pulley, why no one just simply drilled about a 3/4"/ 1" hole through the bracket for a socket on an extention. That is what I am going to do------looks like at least one (gotta be a genius :D ) beat me to it !

Back