DIS help

drewk

My tach stopped working on me the other day and I've heard that it's probably DIS related. I just put the car back together after dropping a new motor in it, I used the clear dielectric grease on the connecting surface of the DIS and assumed it was grounded. Apparently these modules have overheating problems and I don't want to continue burning them up. What should I do differently with the new one that I have to go out tomorrow and buy? Should I add a couple more grounds like to the engine and body?

Don't use dielectric grease between the dis and mount. Use heatsink compound. It is available at Radioshack. Better yet get some Arctic Silver heatsink compound at a computer supply. John

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I will make a trip for some heat sink compound first thing tomorrow morning.

Did changing the DIS module correct the problem ? Tach signal failure is usually caused by a bad Cam Position Sensor.

David

Heat sink compound

Yes, use the heat sink compound. The tac cam sensor ben there done that:rolleyes:

Cam Sensor

My buddies cam sensor went bad again after 4 years. look for my thread from a few weeks ago title- "car looses tach signal then all the sudden boom"

chris

I put the new DIS on the car and surprise, surprise the tach still isn't working. Just my luck. I started wiggling the wires around on the front of the wiring harness and I got the tach to start working. The only problem is when the tach started working, the car died out. I wiggled the wire around a little bit again, started the car up and the tach worked and the car ran fine. Sounds to me like there might be a bad wire going to the cam sensor?

If the tabs are broken off your plug then it can do this. mine does the exact same thing. Im replacing the cam sensor, and zip tie the plug tight to it for a driver fix.

Back