Looking for a new truck.. Opinions please...

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Ok here is the deal... The truck i have is a 91 XLT lariat 2wd 300/5speed regular cab.. has 270k+ miles on it.. I want an extended cab 4wd... The truck has served me well for many years and many miles but its time for an upgrade got 2 kids now so we cant all go somwhere in it and 2wd sucks... I want to spend less than 10k been looking at 98/99 f150 super cabs.. I dont want the 4.6 as every one i've drove wouldnt get out of its own way i'd hate to see how one would be if you actually tried to pull somthing... (sad when a v8 has less balls than a 6cyl) anyway i've found a 99 super cab 5.4/auto XLT tow package 120k perfect condition inside and out power everything cruise,tilt full guage set etc.. price is 10,250 i am thinking 8000/8500 would be more like it for this thing?? I see them on lots for more than that in worse shape but thats car lots.. This one is owned by an individual and i am only alowed $9000 on a 99' from my credit union (gotta pay sales tax etc also).. So i am thinking offer 8000 and see what happens.. Is it rediculous to offer that much? anything i should look for on a 99? As far as i could tell there wasnt a drop of anything ever leaking on it and the underside looked new no rust whatsoever.. inside of the bed didnt have as much as a scratch guy supposedly used it for a long commute.. Also i am thinking about 16/18mpg average would this be a wild expectation? dad has basicly the exact same truck with a 4.6 CAI and flowmasters and it gets solid 20mpg

That MPG is a pipe dream for the 5.4 , in that configuration expect 12-13 mpg at the very best circumstances.

The 5.4 is not very tourqey and needs gearing to move loads so the gas mileage is not good at all with the 5.4 triton. and they feel weak compared to the Nissan at about the same displacement, and smaller cebby motors.

That MPG is a pipe dream for the 5.4 , in that configuration expect 12-13 mpg at the very best circumstances.

If it's pure city stop and go driving that is about right. My 99 Exp with the 5.4 gets about 15-16 mpg, so you might get close but not quite that.

I would pick up a 99+ as they have the higher hp/tork vs. the 97-98 V8's. One thing is don't let high milage worry you, as long as it has a good main record. My Exp has 155K and not a single issue so far and my Dad has owned since new a 97 F150 4.6 with about 180K and only had to do a radiator and heater core.

My in laws have a 98 Expedition Eddie Bauer with 260,000+ on a 5.4. On trips down south fully loaded with 4 people and suitcases (chocked full) it gets 18mpg. The only experience with towing is their 16 foot covered trailer filled. You can go okay with a load but it seems to like to rev high to get its power. I must say it has been a problem free truck for them.

I have noticed that the 5.3 chevys seem to have alot more power but i am so sure about them lasting..

The 5.3 is rated for a higher hp rating but I think the torque is close for the early model 5.4 and the newer 5.4 has quite a bit more torque. My brother in law has an 02 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 65,000 miles, no problems on it at all. It is a decent ride but the pwer is not noticably better than the expedition.

Shenanighans on 18MPG with a 4wd expedition eddie bauer. never gonna happen!!! On a fresh tune with me in it from Atlanata to ft lauderdale never topping 75 or accelerating like a madman my new 2wd expedition gets 14mpg. The old 2001 AWD
/4wd eddie bauer I had got 12.5 on that same loop 18mpg highway is just not gonna happen

Last edited:
Shenanighans on 18MPG with a 4wd expedition eddie bauer. never gonna happen!!! On a fresh tune with me in it from Atlanata to ft lauderdale never topping 75 or accelerating like a madman my new 2wd expedition gets 14mpg. The old 2001 AWD
/4wd eddie bauer I had got 12.5 on that same loop 18mpg highway is just not gonna happen

Just because you get 12.5 mpg does not mean everyone else with an Expy gets the same. I calculated the mileage myself over a distance of 700+ miles. I have no incentive to lie about the mpg of my parent-inlaw's SUV.

The original poster asked for our opinions on a truck, not for the help of a self proclaimed internet mpg expert.

I've got a 5.4 in my 00 F150 - get a fairly consistent 16mpg, but that's some mixed driving - I've even flirted with 17 a time or two ;) Although it has been a while since I took a long trip with it so I don't totally remember what I got last time. From what I've read on an F150 board, it seems that upgrading to efans has gained some throttle response and 1-2 mpg. I haven't done the upgrade so I don't know.

If he doesn't take the offer, then just keep looking around. I do recommend a 5.4 over the 4.6 - I've driven a 4.6 F150 and it seems like a real dog.

Good luck :D

-Melon

I bought an 01 4.6 F150 new, and it was decent power, but it was 2wd. I towed cars with it a time or two just fine. You have to be prepared to rev the snot out of it to make the power with it. If your used to a 302 it seems like your gonna blow it up. I did get the 5.4 3v in my new 05, for a heavy truck, it can really tow.

My 01 would do 21/22 mpg every time
My 05 gets bad to horrible every time.

Why is that hard to believe. Like I said I get 15-16 driving mine to work and it's a 99 5.4L EB with the AWD/4wd option. Now that it's getting cooler it's starting to creep more towards the 16. Last tank I had 15.5 mpg and I drive 5-10 MPH over the speed limit over hilly/curvy roads here in east TN/north GA.

My 99 Expedition w/5.4 does pretty good for such a HEAVY vehicle. It has made a best of 16mpg on the hwy. It seems the key is to keep your foot out of them. Many others are reporting similar and higher. In town it makes 11-13mpg though.

BTW Jacob I paid $8800 for this thing with 87K on it. Shop around a bit brotha...Oh & Haggle...hehe

I just got this thing not too long ago to pull my boat and I LOVE this thing. I was going to get a truck but decided on this instead.
0dc2b678ea60b2f52fc10c82ed99ad62-.jpg

Last edited:
Couldnt get the f150 even close to a reasonable price.. Went down the street to the chevy dealer test drove a 00 silverado 1500 z-71 4x4 fully loaded 110k 5.3 vortec absolutely spotless power leather seats cd player power everything tow package etc. Stainless dual borla cat-back K&N FIPK for $11,000 i hate to say it but comparing it to the f150 its a hundred times better... More cab room.... better ride.... better brakes.... more luxury features... better mileage (everyone i know that has a 4.10 geared 5.3 gets mid-high teens this one has 3.73's) plus the 5.3 has gobs more power than a 5.4... I was extremely impressed with the engine! from a 2mph or so roll i floored it and left 40' posi black marks with it! with sticky tires it would eat my s/c up in a short run!! working on getting a finance deal i like. hopefuly i'll get it... I feel like a traitor but ohh well..

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra Z71 with all the bells and whistles. Luxury and speed with a modicum of style in one package. Have taken two very long trips in it, and though I rarely spend a lot of time checking out my mileage(I just dont care), I have seen nothing to indicate that it is better or worse than any other vehicle. I dont care what car or truck your driving, if your going to go 75+, the gas mileage is gonna suck. Driving habits , road conditions, vehicle condition, load-all of these things will make a huge difference. You will love the truck. Regular maintenance and it should last you a long time.
Have fun, good luck and be safe

Chevy deal fell through... Couldnt get a payment that i was comfertable with... I am just going to go back a few years and get somthing a tad bit cheaper and go for a new one a few years down the road then i can order what i want! Tommarow i am looking at:

1- 98 ram 1500 4door ext cab 4x4 5.9 auto sport package, towing package CD player power everything 120k some minor scratches and minor interior blemeshes nothing that couldnt be easily fixed.. $5000 (i think i could get it for $4000)

2- 97 silverado ext cab 4x4 350/auto 3" suspension lift weld wheels 33" tires (all new) 140k custom conversion leather interior all the bells and whistles you could possible imagine.. Flowmaster true duals, K&N filter tinted windows, stainless nerf bars & brush guard, real-tree bug shield and window vents. $8000 (i am thinking i could get this down around 7000/7500) Flawless paint and interior.. Also is a 1 owner and has all the service records with it including recepts for everything ever done to it (owner of lots brothers truck)

The lot these are at is where i bought my S/C and he treated me great on that deal and gave me a hell of a good price about year and a half ago($2600) The s/c was a mint 1-owner with 95k and bone stock with 75% tread on the tires... So i am comfertable working with the guy..The price he had on the s/c was $3999 so he deffinately will work with you.. I'm thinking the dodge will be alot less than the loan value which would be a plus... Chevy has alot more cool factor and just a nicer truck but i dont think i will be able to get a good loan on it for that much... Want to be able to get a few extra$ to pay off a small signature loan i have with my credit union and pay sales tax on the truck etc..

Junkl junk junk... The dodge's tranny started slipping after beating on it for about 15 minutes of test drive..... what a pos...

Personally, I wouldn't drive a Dodge even if it was given to me. They're still trying to figure out how electrical systems work and in my opinion, Chysler's overall long term quality is lacking. Don't pay attention to that JD Power initial 6 month quality since you're not buying a new truck.

I'd stay away from the old GM 350s. In comparison to the newer OHC engines from everyone except GM they'll be down on power and not as durable. The 99+ Ford 5.4 had 25 more HP and 20 T than the 97-98s (I believe that's the numbers). The newer GM 5.3 and 6.0 are powerful for their size, but I'd compare the 5.3 to the Ford 5.4. They're about the same when all is equal (gears, auto vs stick, 4wd etc).

I have a 99 F150 XLT 4wd Ext Cab 5.4 auto. It has the Offroad and Tow packages. Gears are 3.73 limited slip. With a Tonneau cover I get 13-14 mpg in mixed driving and 16-17 highway. In the PA rolling hills, that isn't bad. On a few trips to the beach, I've found it gets better mileage at 75-85 mph in OD that it does at 55-65. In OD, it's under 2000 rpm until you get around 70mph. Every engine will have the best fuel consumption at it's torque peak. So gears make a big difference in mmpg. I'd think 3.55s or 3.27s in a pickup would make mileage worse and not better than 3.73s.

Things to look for on the 97-up F150s.
  • Driver's door cracks in the corner of the window opening next to the door handle
  • Cruise Control safety recall (fire hazard)
  • The posi unit in mine has gone south, but it's been a tow vehicle all it's life (9.75 gear not the 8.8)
  • On the rear disc brake models, the parking brake shoes have a tendency to rust and come apart (2nd time for me on the way home from the shootout)
  • Stock tranny settings make it shift like a slushbox

Overall, I love it. Looked around for about 9 months 3 years ago and found it for $9900. It's still work $8000-$9000 with 125k now that it's paid off. As mentioned above, look around and you'll find one.

Back