Power steering hoses

91 XR7

Has anyone ever relocated the power steering hoses out from underneth the engine??

Like going down out of the pump and go directly into the rack.. and from the rack go along the drivers side `frame' rail to a cooler (OE or aftermarket) infront of the rad and returning back to the pump??

Just seems like a Little on a stupid side to have so much hose/line for the power steering..

Also if anyone has done this.. what fittings did yah use at the rack and pump (pressure) ???

Last edited:
It can be done. I believe that they routed those PS hoses that way to cut down on noise.

Well if you can figure out/show pics of the lines into the rack and into the pump that'll be great... Like to do this before the engine goes back in..

it's been such a LONG time since i've replaces the pressure hose on my '91 i've forgtten what the fittings even looked like.. I amit the P/S system of this project car needs to be flush MAJORLY (fluid is GREENISH!!)

If you want pics of the factory mounting for the hoses, let me know your email address. If you would like pics of how some others have redone their hoses, you can do a search for them.

I followed anothers suggestion and routed it directly from the pump to the rack.

Attachments

• 000_0668.JPG
    000_0668.JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 206
If you want pics of the factory mounting for the hoses, let me know your email address. If you would like pics of how some others have redone their hoses, you can do a search for them.

I've done searches on both here, and TCCoA but just couldn't find anything..
okay.. retried it again in many different ways.. and was able to find it..

And i have pics of how they are routed and such.. so no problems there.. Also seen that the return is just hose clamped on... so that's not a problem.. and my guess it's a 3/8" hose? so.. no REAL problem there...

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey Mike
These fittings are RUSSELL
the part # is 648060
its a -6 to 16mm x 1.5 o-ring

thats what it says under the part number

tony

Cool now i have an idea as to how to do this..

And i do have the fittings that go into the pump and rack at work.. Now i just need to get the straight and 45degree fittings and the hose (hoses)

Has anyone used a 24plate cooler instead of the stock one??

Tin,

I noticed you ran the hi-side line between the lower ic tube and the block.

I was kinda suprised at this, theres are obviously no issues of having the line to close to anything accept maybe the heater hose?

I was figuring to go under and around the lower ic tube, i thought that would make for easier removal as well.

What lenght of hose did you use, and did you use any elbows or just run straigt from adapter fitting to adapter fitting??

Looks great.
James

Well the reasoning behind that was... it hooks up sort of between the IC and the block on the lower end.
And at the back of the PS pump where it attaches.. it swivels.. and you can swing the line towards the block.
It seemed logical at the time.

The hose was 12" and i used a 45 on the rack and a straight at the pump.

I ended up with extras of everything needed.
If anybodys interested $35 shipped anywhere in the states for the un assembled set
and $32 shipped for the one set, with the one end attached that my son scruffed up putting togethor.

Tony

Attachments

• 100_1776.jpg
    100_1776.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_1775.jpg
    100_1775.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 117
Okay i Just took off the hoses off my '89 and the fitting that goes into the Rack's fitting seem to not be the O-ring kind (mentioned above).. it seems to be one that'll be of the Gasket versions.. at the pump that O-ring type should work thou...

What years have you people that have done this ??? I know on the mustangs with the hydroboost brakes, ect.. the fittings seemed to changed through out the years...

OKay after removing the hoses and pump, taking the Elbow fitting off the spare rack i have and heading off to work...

The OE fitting into the rack Elbow..

The OE fitting into the Pump (EVO port)

None come close to these (18MM left, 16MM right)

Now least on the '89 the fitting for the `rack' (read elbow) is a M16x1.5 thread.. but at the pump it's not a M16 thread (thread pitch is different) BUT a M16 can be forced to work..
with that.. the above kind of fittings do there `sealing' but bottoming out (Rack) or a `press fit' (pump).. the O-rings don't do anything... It may work, but ain't correct.. also being the ones i pictured above.. they are steel so they dont' deform/squish like Alumium would.. :)

So i'm thinking like a Russel 670531 at the rack with a seal, now just gotta firgure out the pump end...

Maybe it's a SAE thread at the pump end. I wouldn't doubt it - the brake lines have a strange mix of fittings, that's for sure.

Maybe it's a SAE thread at the pump end. I wouldn't doubt it - the brake lines have a strange mix of fittings, that's for sure.

Heh.. And it is.. 5/8-18 too.. Least i'm 95% shure of it.. got that tap at work.. the Threads are the same, it goes into the pump with out any issues.. Now the only fitting i can find that's that thread is a 5/8-18 inverted flare

Now i like to know how Tin-Knocker105 was able to use a straight fitting at the pump, like how the hose is routed.. is the fitting aiming down at like 7 o'clock postition.. since other wise it looks like it'll be going directly through the lower IC tube.. :confused: heck aiming it the 7 o'clock position seem tight and a 45degree may be needed :confused:

Back