Clutch will not release completely!

Johannes

Hi,
On my 1990 SC, the clutch will not release completely. It is even hard to get into first gear. Synchros, ouch!! What do you think? Could there be air in the hydaulic system? Is it easy to bleed? Or is the clutch or pressure plate history? The car has 90,000 original miles. Please help :rolleyes: , Joe

Dry or worn pilot bearing might cause that. I have same problem and a clutch itself releases quite finely, but the transmission shaft seem to still run with the engine -> very hard to get any gear on while car parked.

pilot bearing......

...that's discouraging.
During warm/hot weather my clutch does that too.
she is near impossible to get into gear at a lite, and sometimes on the go i have to use my weight to get it into second!(only sometimes).
In cool weather, its mostly normal....
I was thinking I would bleed the fluid first(its black), then try replacing the clutch master....
That's after I get the front end squared away of-course:rolleyes:

If you put it into 4th first, then into 1st does it go smoothly?

If so, it may be a bad syncro.

Now if you find a flat surface and put the car into first, press the clutch in to release it. Does the car try to move? If it does, that would indicate that the clutch disc isn't fully releasing which could be due to many things, all that require removal of the transmission to check.

Back