Bucking Bronco *Cam Sensor connector needed*

Tin-Knocker105

My car cuts out and bucks, I had this happen once or twice before but it corrected it's self. But it did it twice in the last week, once on the freeway.
I was thinking it might be the ignition switch so i put her in nuetral and shut it off and tried to restart her. But it wouldn't start ...pulled off to the side and tried again, and it wouldn't start, then i believe it was the third time it started and was like nothing happened.I know i read before about the computer searching to figure out which one is the number one hole so i was thinking crank sensor?

I just had my motor out to change the oilpan that had a hole in it. Put a MP intalet plenum, cold air divider, Magnuson late model SC,36 lb injectors and a 85mm MP throttle body, and i swaped out the tranny for a 94 model with the 94 flywheel and the spec stage 11 clutch.
It fired right up and i din't have any leaks anywhere. Its been running great with the exception of the two bucking incidents.
I pulled codes nothing put a couple of old codes which i need to clear. and thats it.
Any suggestions

Thanks
tony

Last edited:
i had a similar problem

chased it for many months

things that help,
$10 fuel filter
$3 brake part cleaner (to clean MAFs)
$10 arctic silver 5 heatsink grease under the DIS
$7 Redline fuel injector cleaner
higher octane gas ( i used 87 once, never again, also i only buy chevron, or 76)

those helped a little, but it was the copper plugs i had in my bird.
or maybe the wireset, both were changed at the same time:cool:

and as always the thing Dave mentioned...

hope something helps, i always hated this car for those months...even had thoughts of putting it up for sale.

same senerio w/my 1990 sc 3 or4 times a few years back.dealer pulled a weak fuel pressure code & replaced fuel pump. problem never happened again.just thought id share info.

Early this year i replaced the fuel pump filter and installed a late year fuel tank so all of the fuel delivery stuff is pretty new,
I'm going to dump the old codes and wait and see if i get anything else.
thanks
tony

I think i found the problem,
Dave said it might be a bad cam position sensor, so i had that in the back of my mind as i was pumping down my AC and charging it.
I was adding r134 to it, the AC was on high idle then it happened...
It started running crappy and the motor was moving around a bit because of it.
So just for the heck of it i got a long pry bar and while it was still running crappy i sneaked the pry bar onto the cam sensor connection and pushed it in a little bit and it started running normal. So i says AH HA
Then it started running like crap again... so i do it again and it straightens out again.
So I'm thinking that i have a bad connector to the cam sensor.

So i got to look in the shed and see if i have one with out broken clips.
If not does anybody know if they can be purchased?

Thanks Dave for the Cam sensor tip

Tony

Thanks Paul
I looked on the site and found two cam/position sensor pigtails but they were not for the tbirds. Did i miss them?
thanks
tony

I did start looking on the web for this, i didn't know these kind of items were available.

Thanks Paul
I looked on the site and found two cam/position sensor pigtails but they were not for the tbirds. Did i miss them?
thanks
tony

I did start looking on the web for this, i didn't know these kind of items were available.

Tony,

Check With Racecougar (Rod M.). Plan B.....Clean the connection with some of that electrial connection spray stuff, and use a zip tie to secure the connector to the sensor.

David

I have the exact same problem. Took me a while to find also. Both my clips are broken. Now that I zip tied it to the sensor, its ran fine ever since. :)

Back