Changing Plug Wires

SCreamin

just a quick question...

I bought some new plug wires to install, it appears to be a real nightmare, do i HAVE to remove anything, or can it be done with many choice words without removing anything?

Thanks

I did my plugs at the same time so its different since you need a rachet in there. But you should probably be able to to pop them all off from underneath and just pull them through from the top.(unclip the little holders first). Not to insult your intelegence or memory but do them one at a time.(when your a polock like me you learn that one fast). I think I ended up tearin a couple but mine were on 70000. Might want to put a little electric greese on the coil pack also. good luck, watch those nuckels

Over and under

I did my plugs at the same time so its different since you need a rachet in there. But you should probably be able to to pop them all off from underneath and just pull them through from the top.(unclip the little holders first). Not to insult your intelegence or memory but do them one at a time.(when your a polock like me you learn that one fast). I think I ended up tearin a couple but mine were on 70000. Might want to put a little electric greese on the coil pack also. good luck, watch those nuckels

It's not a bad job if you can get the car jacked up, or even better on a lift. With the engine cold, you can reach the plug wires from under the car by reaching in, up past the exhaust manifolds to unplug the old wires and plugging in the new ones.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

I personally find it easiest to remove the upper IC tube and the intake tube...makes it pass pretty quickly. But that's just my preferred method.

I find it easier from underneath too, only issue is cliynder 1, but with A/C it will always be the hardest.
I can do it now it aprox. one hour.

On my wifes car I can get all the drivers side from underneath. Then I just take the 4 bolts out of the A/C and slide it over to get the front two on the passenger side. That really helps out......

You CAN do the plugs and wires from the top without removing anything (well the intake tube needs to come off), but you will have to use the aforementioned choice words and you'll end up with scraped arms and knuckles. As mentioned above there are a lot of different ways to do them that involve less pain. I don't have a lift however and my garage is cramped so getting underneath my car is more of a chore than anything so I usually do them from the top.

There was a very good narrative on changing plugs and wires written many years ago (anybody remember Rotten Ron?), but I think that was several website changes ago and it probably isn't around anymore.

Thanks Guys!!

I shall install my wires on friday morning. this way i will have time to prepare the list of "choice words" to spew when i can't reach something. :D

Looks like i'm going with the under the car option first, and if needed, i will remove piping.

Thanks again for the info...

Sam

70k is nothing/....

Heck, mine were dated 1989!
200k miles on the car!:eek:
it did run, but runs better now....

Know the feeling. i have 130+k on my 95 and it still has the factory wires.... until friday that is. I hope to swap the coilpack out for the Screamin Demon one when i have the chance. I was trying to get my hands on one, but things didn't work out. I know it will make a huge difference in the idle and throttle response once installed. But I had some sensors and other things that needed attention first.

A set of Texas Thunderbirds IC gaskets makes taking the IC tubes on and off a snap.......

It then makes changing the spark plugs easier.....

Actually, it makes doing anything on the upper engine easier.....:D

Well.... Thanks for the tips guys, the wires are on allong with a new SC pulley and let me just say... the next time i need to do the wires or plugs...

I may just remove the engine from the car first... :D Why don't they make cars to be able to work on anymore???? Everything has to be performed as if you are a OBGYN or something... Sheesh..

But the car runs soooo much better now.. I rolled up to about 20-25mph and nailed it... i glanced at the tach (3800+/- RPM) check the boost guage (+15 lbs) i knew the tires lost traction but was not aware of how much until i looked in the mirror at the white smoke... i promply let off since my tires are getting low... and this was on a 245/50 nitto nt450... gotta say that the tires suck in the rain too.. really happy with the way the car runs... and yes i had the TCS off, just to see what it would do..

Thanks again for the help and info on swapping the wires..

P.S. my list of choice words used is available upon request.. :D :D :cool:

First time for many things on these cars is pretty tough (plugs/wires, engine mounts, HG's). Once you've done it a few times it'll start to get easy.

yeah, i've noticed that... but what's a day or weekend worth of headache compared to many days of drive'n the SC? i'll take it!!

Motor Mounts are next on the list... going to my brother's house for those.. Air tools = happiness sometimes. :D

Back