89' Block

OneFastBird

I'm getting ready to acquire a 89' sc block to put in to my 94sc. Is there any reason that I shouldn't do this swap, I think that I've heard before that the oil pump is bigger in the 94-95's(is this interchangeable). Just trying to figure out what I should do! Thanks

dont forget to get a matching EEC. The 89 is less powerfull then a 94. but then again, the 89 has a more agressive cam.

use your 94 blower & plenum, if possible :) then you have the best of both.

while your at it replace motor mounts, plugs & wires.

the oil pump on a 94 is stronger then the 89 one, but i am not quiete sure if this is swapable...

Last edited:
dont forget to get a matching EEC.

That is incorrect. Stick with the 94 SC EEC.

The only thing to check on the 89 engine is the crankshaft. The early 89 SC's came with Duracast cranks. It's a pretty slim chance that your 89 SC engine has one, but it doesn't hurt to make certain.

-Rod

[The early 89 SC's came with Duracast cranks. It's a pretty slim chance that your 89 SC engine has one, but it doesn't hurt to make certain.
/QUOTE]

What does it matter if this 89' block has a Duracast crank in it or not, and how do I tell if it does.

I recently put a 91 motor in my 94 The swap went well although I had to swap the timing cover, crankshaft sensor. and the balancer because they are different.I also swaped the oil pump because it was bolted to the timing cover. Definatly use your late model blower and injectors. I used the 94 ecm and have no issues the car runs like a scalded dog.:)

What does it matter if this 89' block has a Duracast crank in it or not, and how do I tell if it does.

The Duracast cranks were a blunder on Ford's part, hence the reason why they were quickly replaced with forged crankshafts. The Duracast didn't hold up well in the SC engine, which makes it unlikely that your 89 SC engine has one (it would have likely failed by now).

To check, you'll need to pull the oil pan and look at the parting lines on the crankshaft throws. A cast crank will have relatively thin parting lines, whereas a forged crank will have much thicker parting lines (at least 1/4").

-Rod

Back