KYB shocks any good? combo opinions please

SCandelous95

So, my ride is long overdue for shocks and springs. looking to obviously get them replaced all the way around at the same time. might as well slam that bird while im at it.

im thinking about the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, 1.5 drop. not so sure about the shocks, though, its kinda pricey. i've heard the KYB will fit the SC even though it says it cant, you just lose the ARC correct?

so for such a difference in price, about $110-$176 for a set of KYB shocks vs. $500+ for tokico and konis, etc. makes me wonder if theyre any good?

any opinions on the eibach/kyb combo? or some other well priced shocks?

Thanks,

sig2.jpg

Last edited:
also

oh yeah, i JUST replaced my rear sway bar links today...which is what got me thinking about the shocks/springs combo. would i need to replace those with shorter ones? and what about bushings, and that type of stuff?

did you guys need to replace those too, or just slap the new setup on and roll out?

as far as shocks I'd go with tokiko's just depends on whether you want the ARS or not I personally like it and don't want to go on the cheap ...as far as bushings take a good look at the bushings on those rear knuckles they deteriorate and cause the tires to drift a bit and wear crappy. I personally would buy the whole kit and replace them all with polys. in our world there really isn't a cheap way to go. these cars iz spainsiff...just goes with the territory. my .02

Rick

KYB's are decent, though they do seem to wear out a little sooner. I'm running the KYB GR2's on both my 94 LX and my 90 XR7.

-Rod

I'm running 1.5" Eibach springs with KYB Gr2 combo in my '90 SC. KYB's are stiffer than Tokicos. I felt better handling changing KYBs...

Yes, you just delete the ARC-system. Very easy task!

Price-quality is KYB's advantage absolutely!:cool:

righty

Sampo, when you say you feel better handling changing KYB's, do you mean changing to KYB's or changing them out with something else?

cool thanks. might run with the KYBs. i would love the konis or a performance brand, but it is a good chunk of change. dont really care about keeping the ARC if i get better shocks for a good price. i figure if i get the KYB's by the time i need to replace them again, i'll probably be ready to :( sell the car anyways.

i havent heard very good things about tokicos, especially considering the price. me thinks i'll probably go with the KBY/eibach combo. havent really heard too many bad things about KYBs, so anything will be better than what i got now.

Last edited:
i have KYBs all around and they handle great! you dont even feel the turns anymore. you just take them like whatever... then again i did upgrade my suspension also... so go with the GR-2s from summit! great price also! fast shipping.

word. i just placed my order through shox.com got a better deal on shipping on the phone than online to, fyi.

anyone running a setup without shorter sway bar links? and any problems? anyone notice a difference running with shorter and stock?

Sampo, when you say you feel better handling changing KYB's, do you mean changing to KYB's or changing them out with something else?

Sorry my language again...:eek:

Changing original to KYB's. The handling was better, no doubt!

With that price you can't beat them!:)

word. i just placed my order through shox.com got a better deal on shipping on the phone than online to, fyi.

anyone running a setup without shorter sway bar links? and any problems? anyone notice a difference running with shorter and stock?

I have 1.5" drop S/T springs with KYBs and I snapped my stock rear swaybar endlinks within a day.

Installing KYB in the rear

Question about installing the rear shocks. Im assuming that the bushings they send are for the top of the shock, but on the bottom were it attached to the Lower control Arm, there are no bushings for it, and just a metal sleeve protruding out.

Am I suppose to locate a set of bushings for this, or install it as it?
I would be under the assumption that there needs to be bushings that set on the sleeve, but none came with my order.

Any help?

there are no bushings on the lower part, just reinstall it with the metal sleeve as it is.... i was worried about it too but realized thats just the way it is....

just to clarify why only metal sleeves is because if you look at the ARC shocks it has an EYE with the bushings surrounding it.. .and of course the NON-ARC ones have the metal sleeve.... to support it...

My 89 has Motorcraft replacement ARC shocks and I think may be valved like Tokico Illumina IIs. These are firmer than stock FORD OEM replacements I put on my nephews 90 SC. The new KYBs that are on the 93SC feel too soft to me, sort of like worn out shocks. Better to spend $200 more and get Illumina IIs in my opinion. If I was on a budget I would try stock Motorcraft shocks for 96-97 sport LXs. Those cars had the same stiffer springs as a SC and came with non-arc shocks.

97 LX Sport Motorcraft part numbers:

Front AM909G
Rear AS1030G

Should be around $200 for a set of these.

Motorcraft rear sport shock not available

My 89 has Motorcraft replacement ARC shocks and I think may be valved like Tokico Illumina IIs. These are firmer than stock FORD OEM replacements I put on my nephews 90 SC. The new KYBs that are on the 93SC feel too soft to me, sort of like worn out shocks. Better to spend $200 more and get Illumina IIs in my opinion. If I was on a budget I would try stock Motorcraft shocks for 96-97 sport LXs. Those cars had the same stiffer springs as a SC and came with non-arc shocks.

97 LX Sport Motorcraft part numbers:

Front AM909G
Rear AS1030G

Should be around $200 for a set of these.

When I tried to get Motorcraft rear shocks for my '97 LX Sport about a year ago, I was told by two Ford dealers they are no longer available. I ended up with the regular Motorcraft LX shocks on the back.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

got em

Whelp. got the eibach springs and k shocks in yesterday. taking my car into the body shop to fix some minor damage, then put the parts on and slam the bird. been awhile since igave my baby some love, but cant wait to see her lowered. the birds look sooo nice lowered and with no body damage. my next post will be 1.5 inches lower with pix.

when i ordered my kYB-GR2 shocks. i got two shocks and 2 "struts". i know we dont have struts, but will those work anyway? i think theyre for the front end, theyre black and a little bit bulkier than traditional other two shocks..the parts were for NON SC, which supposedly were usable just the ARC would be disabled. sound like the right parts?

Back