Pooping (explosions) in one catalytic converter

debriga

Help!!!!!!

I have a 93 SC that just started making a popping (like small explosions) in the right side catalytic converter. The car does not do this when it is cold, only after being fully warmed up. There is no degradation in performance, vacuum and boost levels have not changed, drivabilty is the same, and fuel milage has stayed the same.
It does not happen under acceleration, only at a steady state cruise or on deceration with a warmed up engine. Also, only on the passenger side.
Anybody have any thoughts on what might be causing this? Also, it just started doing this all of a sudden one day and has not stopped. I'm leaning towards an oxegon sensor, but for the life of me, I can't understand only one side of the engine's exhaust doing this.
I would appreciate any thoughts that the rest of you might have on this matter.

Thank you
Dennis Garner

pooping hehe:p

i'm sorry, i don't have an answer for you. I would hate to tell you to go ahead and try the O2 sensor and have that not be the problem. It sounds like you might be on the right track though. It would stand to reason that with a bad O2 sensor one bank may be running rich. Under WOT there would be complete burning of gasses in the cylinder. However, under decel, or cruise unburnt gasses may be making their way into the exaust gas, and then exploding in the Cat and manifold.

Without anything else to go on i would try replacing the O2 sensor, but you might wanna wait for others to chime in before going ahead and spending money on a new one just to find out that wasn't the problem.

MAYBE its just a thought going on what he said the UNburnt gasses might actually be detonating when the air/fuel mixture is going into a "superheated" ceramic of the cat...hey it sounds like it might be that

Back