idiot light troubles (multiple)

tww

Dear All:

I have an 89 XR7 with about 55K miles. I have three idiot lights giving me trouble:

1. the low coolant light on the VMM. I know it reads the overflow bottle sensor to
activate this light. It often comes on for a little while and then goes out again. The car
is not low on coolant, and the overflow bottle seems full enough.

2. the fasten seatbelts light often stays on even when the motorized seatbelts go to the
proper position. I read on this board that the sensor for this is not in the motor at all, but is in
the reel by the seat. Is this right? How can this be fixed?

3. The "CHECK GAGE" light comes on after a long drive. The car heats up fairly slowly
according to the temperature gauge. After a long drive in city traffic, the temp gauge
will read around "RM" in "NORM". Many times, the "CHECK GAGE" light will come on and
will usually only go OFF when the temp gauge needle goes back down again. Do
I have a problem in the dashboard, or is the light correct and the car is overheating?
How can I tell? The radiator is original. The dashboard has been worked on
several times. This light in particular has been troublesome. We replaced the old
(broken) temperature gauge with a used one (along with the anti-slosh module). The temp
gauge seems to work fine now. Do I go see an electrical expert or a radiator shop?

Thanks,

T W

Back