Rod and piston suggestions

frdlvr30

Im getting ready to build a new short block for my sc. Id like to know what rods and pistons everyone else is running. Im definetly not using the stock junk anymore. They just cant survive my right foot!!! Im a ford tech and i can name 10 different rod and piston companies off the top of my head, but id like to know what some of you guys have found good and not so good. Im leaning toward eagle rods, and je pistons simply because ive used them before in my mustangs. Whats the going rate for these? Im used to buying eight at a time, not six...Any input would be great...Dave

You can get 6 pistons built,but Eagle rods I think you will have
to buy 8 rods. Some times others on here have had a group-buy
for connecting rods.

Buy three sets of 8 connecting rods, then sell as 4 sets of rods.

I have a set of Scat rods from a group-buy, $250.00 for 6 rods.
Scat 351Ford H-beam Rod Set.
6.200 Rod Length.
927 wrist pin.
2.310 pin diameter/.830 big-end width.
big end weight 466, small end weight 209.
pt #2-351-6200-2311-927
www.scatcrankshafts.com

I have not installed the scat rods,So I cannot say they
would be greatest to use. I don't think that I would
want to go with any more added length to the Scat
rods,6.200. Eagle 351 rods are around 5.9 somthing
in length.

Randy

Randy

Last edited:
Eagle I believe does have stock SC rods available. But they were expensive last I checked.

The most common aftermarket rod is going to be a 351 rod. The standard 351 rod is slightly longer than a stock SC rod, which means you need to go with custom pistons.

There are a few different folks that have had custom pistons made through Diamond, Eagle, and Wiseco. Dave Dalke (XR7 Dave) has been working with Wiseco on tweaking their custom pistons for our application, so you might try e-mailing him to see what's available currently.

Basically you're looking at around $400-$500 in custom pistons with pins. Figure another $280-$350 for I beam or H beam rods. Then don't forget the bearings. New pistons will be full floating pins with lock rings. Pre 94 motors have pressed in pins.

Now if you are not planning on going crazy with power, stock replacement pistons are still available from Sealed Power. Pick up a good set of New Old Stock 94/95 rods, or a set that hasn't been abused. Have them worked over (shot peened, polish the beams) and you'll probably be good for 380 rwhp.

Here is a link to those rods that Randy is talking about:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72955&highlight=rods

A link to folks wondering what piston to use:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55471&highlight=rods

Here is a picture of the Wiseco I have yet to install. I've had it coated with a moly skirt coating and ceramic top coating since then.
pistonside.jpg

Last edited:
Back