Engine pull question

Grims95SC

i'm getting conflicting info on this. Do I need to drop the gas tank or not to pull the engine and trans? I'll be putting in a new fuel pump sooner or later but its always good to know what needs to get done the day of the engine pull.

you dont have the drop the tank i just seperate the u-joint at the trany yoke then after the motor and trans are out i pull the shaft and change the u-joints.

Pulling engine out

I have a 5-speed car. When I pulled my motor and transmission out, I had to drop the tank in order to slide the tranny out of the yolk. The reason for this was because the shifter gets stuck, preventing you from from getting a good enough angle to get free of the driveshaft.

I guess you could take the shifter off, if you have a 5-speed like me and it might work. Drop the tank, make it easy on your self. Not that big of a deal. Oh, to make it easy to drop the tank, connect a jumper wire to the fuel pump realy, which is in the trunk, and pump all the fuel out through the line. You have to jump connections on the relay in order to keep the pump going or it will shut off after a few seconds.

any more questipns let me know.

chris

I did both of mine of a lift and used a trans jack under the fuel tank, took the straps off, lowered it down just enough to get the DS out, and put it right back up.

Sizemore, was your engine complete or a longblock? I could never get the thing far enough forward for the yoke to slide out of the trans, it wanted to tilt and get caught.

If you pull the 4 bolts out of the driveshaft to diff, then drop the 4 bolts to the diff and let it rest on the halfshafts. There is enough room to pull the driveshaft back. you will have about 1/4 -1/2 of an inch of the yoke in the tranny. Pull the shifter knob and handles off, remove the 10 bolts from the tranny, then drop. its pretty easy.

Sizemore, was your engine complete or a longblock? I could never get the thing far enough forward for the yoke to slide out of the trans, it wanted to tilt and get caught.

Sorry for the omission, I did have the SC and such removed, but the heads were still on it, I just checked the pics...

I guess I could have been mistaken, and the driveshaft could have been removed before that, but I am 90% sure it was still connected to the driveshaft...

The car was on jackstands, and I had plenty of room to tilt... I guess I forgot to mention that too...

Back