94 auto trans question

pipecraze

I have a 94 auto. When I bought the car it had a shift kit. Ive driven it for over a year with no real tranny problems. Lately I've noticed some slipping.

It seems to occur after hard braking. Say I'm driving 40, come to a sudden stop, then resume driving again. It feels like the car is stuck in nuetral for a few seconds before it engages into first. After that it feels fine. I seem to be able to avoid the problem if I come to a stop very very slowly.

Could a simple adjustment be needed or is this signs of a bigger problem.

Last edited:
do a tranny flush and hope that fixes it. The 94-95s are electronically controlled so there is really nothing to adjust. How many miles are on the tranny? I blew mine at around 120k

I checked the fluid and it was a little low. I put some tranny fluid in and noticed a leak under the car by the rad. The rubber hose to the rad was a little loose. Lately I've been having a bad vibration throughout the car. I pretty sure it's the motor mounts. I assume the vibration lossened the connection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the cause of the problem.

Attachments

• Tcoolerline.JPG
    Tcoolerline.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 50
Best thing to do is to change to mercon V and change the filter. Be sure to drain the converter. This might extend the tranny`s life but if it continues to slip your looking at a rebuild. Make sure you rebuild your trans or one from another SC with a 4R70W only.

I checked the fluid and it was a little low. I put some tranny fluid in and noticed a leak under the car by the rad. The rubber hose to the rad was a little loose. Lately I've been having a bad vibration throughout the car. I pretty sure it's the motor mounts. I assume the vibration lossened the connection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the cause of the problem.

Get that leak fixed and take the car to a shop that has the tranny flush machine. Thats the best way to flush the system they put it on the machine and completly change the old fluid with new fluid 100%. If you just drop the pan your only changing about 1/3 of the fluid

One of the few good things about the 4R70W is that the torgue converter has a drain plug. So you can drain it all yourself, but make sure you drain the lines to the cooler as well.

Thanks for all the help guys. I may have the fluid changed soon. So far that hose seemed to be the cause of the problem. What I really need to fix is the terrible vibration I have throughout the car that caused all this in the first place. Motor mounts are being replaced this weekend! I hope that fixes it for good.

Dont change the fluid..Just replace what was lost..Unless you hav been replacing the fluid all along it can do more harm then good

Dont change the fluid..Just replace what was lost..Unless you hav been replacing the fluid all along it can do more harm then good

I have seen many cases where some one changed the fluid and had slipping problems. Last month I recived a 96 tbird for 30 bucks because it had bad shutter and the inside stunk. The trans fluid was tan not red so I changed it out with mercon V. What a differance. It now shifts perfect and has been in service for 3 weeks and no more shutter.
Just keep in mind that this is a 4r70w and mercon V should not be used in AOD`s. Time will tell though but for now the fluid is still nice and red. FYI the car had 88k

Back