M5R2 Pros and Cons

mc94xr7

Its been Brought to my attention after i completed my Swap for a n M5R2 that thes trannies are notchey Pieces of crap. You cant take off without wheelhop but yull have no problems spinnin the tires for an impressive burnout. but there are people out there who love them. lets hear yir oppinions and some Pros and Cons.
My pro: direct bolt on with the right stuff: peddals, drive shaft, etc.:cool:
My Con: Where the DO you find O rings for this thing?:confused:

wheel hop has nothing to do with the tranny.
switching my tires eliminated mine:eek:
The tranny is on of the better OEM units from that time period with a good shifter they are very reliable. Now my capri 5.0 had a notchy t5:mad

Con: hard to find cheap parts

IMO thunderbird mn12's belong with the automatic. If your car has high HP an auto is the way to go. If you have a few bolt ons then yes 5spd will make you fast. I've had my experience with both trannys and I'd say my 94 auto was much more fun to drive

For me I can't keep the synchros in good condition. At 500 miles they wen't bad.

These trannies gear ratio's are no good. First gear is way too short, second gear is okay, and third gear is too long.

The only plus about them is you won't break one.

Trans

Gear ratio in the five speeds could have been better. However, I still prefer a five speed to the auto. Try using different shift points to get around the ratio issue.

you can't get around the fact that with a gear that works good for the track, first gear is essentially useless.

For the dragstrip, an auto is going to be much easier to drive and with the right valve body you can shift it yourself. But I like the 5 speed... though I think i'll eventually end up with a 6 speed unless someone suddenly starts making high quality parts for our transmission.

so putting in a B&M shifter will eliminate the sluggish shifting ?

or would a T5 swap be better ?

nope not at all although I haven't driven a stock shifter sc my b&m one was notchy as all hell. The throws are close but its still very notchy. All the b&m does is shorten the throw

M5R2

Pro = Unlimited stall, unlimited shifting quickness, and shift it at whatever rpm you want. Also, direct link from crank to driveshaft. More efficient tranny = more HP at the wheels. Typically won't have to worry about overheating one. Significant wieght savings as well. Easier to "build up" for required power level (pretty much just installing a good clutch).

Con = Becoming obsolete. Parts are harder to find. Shift quality is less than stellar.

AUTO

Pro = Easier to drive. Easier to launch. Easier to race. WAY WAY more aftermarket support.

Con = You will spend $2000 to get it to shift as quick as you want, at the rpm you want, to stall where you want and to make it live at higher power levels. AOD seem to be quite finnicky. When they work, they work good, but many people continually fight issues such as tranny leaks, keeping them cool, clutch packs that wear out, convertors that wear out, etc...

Niether one is without its problems.

Micah

I used to have an auto sc and now I got a 5sp. sc. My manual sc is way quicker, much more throttle responce, less drivetrain loss and overall much more fun to drive. I hated the auto trans on my old sc, it wouldn't downshift when I wanted to, it shifted way too soon and it was sluggish. I would recommend going with manual trans, there is parts for manual trans as well like short shifters, clutches, flywheels...

well with all the crap I've said about the m5r2 you could still quick shift it if needed. Hell mine chirped third as the track

my friend has a 93 (original auto swapped to 5spd) and says he has to hold the shifter in gear before the tranny actually stays in that gear. i think somethin wrong with his tranny but he says thats the way all M5R2's are. anyone else have this problem ?

and which is better for quick-shifting and racing .....the T5 or the M5R2 ?

my friend has a 93 (original auto swapped to 5spd) and says he has to hold the shifter in gear before the tranny actually stays in that gear. i think somethin wrong with his tranny but he says thats the way all M5R2's are. anyone else have this problem ?

His tranny kicks him out of gear?

You can get "kicked out of gear" if the teeth that engage are all worn down and don't allow you to fully engage the gear in the first place. It's basically the end result of way too many bad (grinding) shifts.

I've rebuilt my M5R2 and it shifts extremely tight and precise. I've also learned that extremely high rpm shifts are just turning the synchros into toast. If you're having trouble getting into gear at higher rpms, just keep constant light pressure on the shifter and watch at which point the synchro actually grabs the gear and allows you to engage the shifter. Shifting at a higher rpm than that is just overworking the synchros.

Pro = parts still available. Get the kit and save some money. If you just need a particular bearing, go to NAPA.

Con = Crybaby automatic guys can't drive them. Oh wait, that's a Pro too. :cool:

^^^^"If you're having trouble getting into gear at higher rpms, just keep constant light pressure on the shifter and watch at which point the synchro actually grabs the gear and allows you to engage the shifter. "

that sounds like what my friend was talkin about. i'll have to let him know that.

well I wouldn't call any of those trannys great trannys to be quickshifting in. Probably the m5r2 will hold up the abuse more

Back