Awful noises

Collisionsystm

okay I bought this 1990 35th. 80,000 miles on it. AOD tranny. It has had new head gaskets already. A month after I bought the car, overdrive went out in the transmission. I changed out the tranny fluid and filter to save what was left inside. About an hour after changing it, the fluid was back to dark brown and nasty. Instead of changing the fluid, I was dumb and kept driving it around to local places, avoiding the highways. One night coming home, I floored it at about 50 mph (theres a fun turn to take) and took it to about 80.I then put the transmission into neutral to drift so it wouldnt continue to run at high rpm's. upon going again i noticed that the engine had stalled out. At what point this happend, I have no idea. I never noticed i was to busy watching the road. So I start it up, and the motor is tapping. I thought that it had misfired. So i turn it off and try again. It makes a horrible noise like my exhaust is rubbing on the frame really bad and has a knock. BUT! all this noise goes away at idle when I tap the gas twice quickly and it settles itself down and runs as quietly as it did when I got it. I had changed the oil 3 days before all of this with mobil 1 synthetic, and I just changed out the transmission fluid again and added lucas just incase it was the transmission making noises and not the motor. The noise seems to be coming out the drivers side of the block, and defidentally towards the bottom of the block. Any ideas?

okay I bought this 1990 35th. 80,000 miles on it. AOD tranny. It has had new head gaskets already. A month after I bought the car, overdrive went out in the transmission. I changed out the tranny fluid and filter to save what was left inside. About an hour after changing it, the fluid was back to dark brown and nasty. Instead of changing the fluid, I was dumb and kept driving it around to local places, avoiding the highways. One night coming home, I floored it at about 50 mph (theres a fun turn to take) and took it to about 80.I then put the transmission into neutral to drift so it wouldnt continue to run at high rpm's. upon going again i noticed that the engine had stalled out. At what point this happend, I have no idea. I never noticed i was to busy watching the road. So I start it up, and the motor is tapping. I thought that it had misfired. So i turn it off and try again. It makes a horrible noise like my exhaust is rubbing on the frame really bad and has a knock. BUT! all this noise goes away at idle when I tap the gas twice quickly and it settles itself down and runs as quietly as it did when I got it. I had changed the oil 3 days before all of this with mobil 1 synthetic, and I just changed out the transmission fluid again and added lucas just incase it was the transmission making noises and not the motor. The noise seems to be coming out the drivers side of the block, and defidentally towards the bottom of the block. Any ideas?
Might have a lose gromit on the TV Cable attachment.

Last edited:
Brown tranny fluid = fried clutches probably overheated the trans causing the torque converter to ballon on the front side causing the knocking noise where the face of the convertor is hitting the flywheel bolts. You will know when you pull the trans there will be bolt head shaped marks on the face of the convertor. Common problem. Sounds like you will need a tranny rebuild and a new convertor.:(

Back