homemade headers?

operation rob

have any of you ever done this before? i'm interested in making some long tubes for my SC while i'm rebuilding it. any suggestions or pictures? i found one thread, but i wanted to see if anyone else did it.

port the stock manifolds?

I have seen home-made headers done, but you will have to check some of the honda forums for custom turbo manifolds.

it generally helps to know how to weld.

Unfortunately, I havent any resources off the top of my head but I know for a fact that in 2003 I saw in either Import Tuner, Sport Comact Car or Turbo magazine that there was a tech article for making custom exhaust manifolds that had to do with mating a 4G63 (eclipse turbo/talon tsi) turbo up to a CRX's 1.6L, and they said the 4G63s exhaust manifolds looked exactly how a CRXs turbo manifold would look, and so they used those as a guide and custom made a set with some time spent welding. I imagine you could apply the same principle, and actually you'd have it easier, it's just welding the 3 exhaust tubes together. There's not really a whole lot you can do, you cant go 6 into 2 into 1 like on an I6 motor, you're kind of stuck going 3>1 and 3>1.

I also would check www.fiero.nl 's forums, and looking around there, while I was a Fiero guy I read all kinds of crap on the forums and I am pretty certain a good number of people made their own exhaust manifolds to accomodate their engine swap or modificating up some headers (you aren't getting a LS1, N* or 3.5 twin-dual-cam in a fiero unless you modify some shtt and will probably have to fab exhaust manifolds to cope with the super tight space constraints)

If you are not an experienced welder the best you could possibly do outside of actually ordering a set of LTs or Kooks or whatever is port the hell out of a set of stock manifolds, which is what most people do.

I really hope that this helps or at least gives you a point in the right direction.

-Ghost

port the stock manifolds?

I have seen home-made headers done, but you will have to check some of the honda forums for custom turbo manifolds.

it generally helps to know how to weld.

Unfortunately, I havent any resources off the top of my head but I know for a fact that in 2003 I saw in either Import Tuner, Sport Comact Car or Turbo magazine that there was a tech article for making custom exhaust manifolds that had to do with mating a 4G63 (eclipse turbo/talon tsi) turbo up to a CRX's 1.6L, and they said the 4G63s exhaust manifolds looked exactly how a CRXs turbo manifold would look, and so they used those as a guide and custom made a set with some time spent welding. I imagine you could apply the same principle, and actually you'd have it easier, it's just welding the 3 exhaust tubes together. There's not really a whole lot you can do, you cant go 6 into 2 into 1 like on an I6 motor, you're kind of stuck going 3>1 and 3>1.

I also would check www.fiero.nl 's forums, and looking around there, while I was a Fiero guy I read all kinds of crap on the forums and I am pretty certain a good number of people made their own exhaust manifolds to accomodate their engine swap or modificating up some headers (you aren't getting a LS1, N* or 3.5 twin-dual-cam in a fiero unless you modify some shtt and will probably have to fab exhaust manifolds to cope with the super tight space constraints)

If you are not an experienced welder the best you could possibly do outside of actually ordering a set of LTs or Kooks or whatever is port the hell out of a set of stock manifolds, which is what most people do.

I really hope that this helps or at least gives you a point in the right direction.

-Ghost

i know how to weld, and i have access to any machine/tool you could think of, also a ton of tubing. i think i will make a jig like fastsc92 did and just go from there. i'll make a thread when i start this :cool:

WOW, I'm surprised that my pics are still floating around. They've been buried in the engine bay for over a year now, and I forgot how good and clean they really look :p

I know someone that took a set of 3.8 mustang headers and did a lil bit of cutting and redirecting and they worked great..I personnally am going with ported manifolds...my .02

Rick

Back