Radiator fan

2qikforya

Hey guys, i have a 94 thunderbird sc. The temp gauge goes to almost all the way to the red and the fan still doesnt kick on then the check gauge light comes on. I changed the fan motor and its still not working. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.

Could be the IRCM (Integrated Relay Control Module) or the EEC Coolant Temp Sensor (different sensor than the one that gives you a reading on the dash). The IRCM contains the fan relay. Does the fan come on when you turn the A/C on? Does it come on while scanning the EEC for codes (during its initial self diagnosis)? If so the IRCM is probably okay.

I will check that out, I didint think of putting the AC on. And if that doesnt work then ill have it scanned.

check the fuse under the hood,it's a 60 amp for the puller fan and a 30 amp for the pusher fan.i've blown mine a couple of times.

That's kinda strange, because you have 3 fans on the '94. Atleast one should come on to stop you approaching the red zone. As already stated the main 2 speed fan on the '94 has big fuses under the hood and the low speed winding should engage with the a/c or defroster on (below 47mph). If you are also able to run a scan with a code reader that low speed should also test out. I don't know how to self test the small pusher fan in front of the rad, but I believe it comes on above 228deg. A silly question maybe, but was the motor boiling hot when you hit the red zone; otherwise it maybe (hopefully for you) just a bad temperature sensor.

I agree, get a good thermometer and check the temp again. The fan on my 90 works but my a/c or defroster has never turned it on........

Back