Mysterious vibration....

crich

Thought I had a tire out of balance but I get a vibration at certian speeds (70-90) For example: At 80 mph I'll get a vibration throughout the car then let out of the gas, bring it back up to 80 again and its fine:confused: :confused:

auto or 5 speed? were is the vibration? you think you can pin point it to a part of the car?

is it like a it happens once and when u try it again its not there?

Auto.....and yes, it happens and when I try to duplicate it sometimes it does sometimes it dosent. I drove 300 miles in it on Friday. At one point I'm cruisin alond at 85mph smooth as glass then have to slow down for traffic hit resume on the cruise then it starts to vibrate. Cant really tell where its coming from but you definately feel it in the steering wheel and in the seat.

Check your driveshaft bolts at the differential. If they are loose, you may want to put a little blue locktite on and torque them down. Also check the universal joints at the differential and trans.

Good luck

Bryan

Check your driveshaft bolts at the differential. If they are loose, you may want to put a little blue locktite on and torque them down. Also check the universal joints at the differential and trans.

Good luck

Bryan

Yup. i had the same problem with my car a few years ago. my driveshaft bolts were way loose and the thing was shaking like crazy. someone had been tinkering under there or hadnt tightened them down, or just came loose over time.

i also just replaced my rear end sway bar links. helped the shimmy a bit too, but might not be your issue.

got your tires balanced lately, alignment lately, i guess you ruled out the bent rim?

Driveshaft bolts were tight.....u-joints looked good. Looked at motor and tranny mounts while I had it jacked up and they looks good as well......The car also has the rough idle when cold and shutters bad when shifting from park to reverse with foot on the brake, dont know if this is all related.

What year is you SC auto. Because I am going through a vibration cycle with my '94 - it feels like I'm driving over 'rumble strips' when I get on the gas in O/D at highway speeds. I've flushed the trans fluid, as it's a common problem on 94/95 autos, but that didn't do it. Now I am getting it into the trans shop to have it evaluated. Others have suggested that it might be the O/D band slipping or a solenoid problem.

Driveshaft bolts were tight.....u-joints looked good. Looked at motor and tranny mounts while I had it jacked up and they looks good as well......The car also has the rough idle when cold and shutters bad when shifting from park to reverse with foot on the brake, dont know if this is all related.

I would get back under there and with the car on jackstands place a block of wood on the jack and raise the engine by the oil pan to check the mounts again.

its a 94 (68K)......I thought maybe it was the OD in the tranny until I kicked it out of OD at 75 and it still had the vibes.

Ok, i waited to reply to this till i was sure. But my SC did this same exact thing (be loose in acceleration, then totally wobbly when i let off the gas)

I went to a tire shop today and had them slap on 4 new tires...problem solved. They said the wobbles come from the tires being worn, out of balance, and missing a few counter weights.

They installed 4 new Goodyear RS-A+'s, balanced them and reapplied the missing counter weights. the car glides smooth as silk now.

Back