Subject: Need Help – Check Engine Light and Gas Fumes in Car – 94 SC Tbird

Bird of Prey 94

My check engine light is coming on, and I have been smelling gas fumes in the car as well. I have been using 89 octane gas for a while, after the pinging I realized I should go back to 91+ octane. Could I have a bad fuel vapor canister or purge regulator valve? I have not changed either device since I had the car. Can the fuel vapor canister or purge regulator valve be the reason why my check engine light comes on and off?

Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks,

Bird of Prey 94

First - pull codes. They can lead you in the right direction.

Second - the gas smell - check to see if leaking at any fitting or at injector rail. Does the engine compartment smell of gas
or just the interior? If it's just the interior and mostly when the car is running - check to see if gas line at top of gas tank is worn through and leaking. The line is a nylon material and can rub against the body, eventually wearing through. There was a recall on earlier cars to check and either install a shield over the line or replace the line. I replaced my line with a reinforced fuel line from BMW.

Third - DON'T LIGHT UP ANY SMOKE - until yhou find it and repair. If you have to drive the car - make sure you keep window open some so you don't get overcome by fumes - I'd hate to see you wreck an SC!!!!

Good Luck.
Mark
'95 SC 5spd

The evap system could be the problem. You should check the codes, that's what they're for.

I have been following this thread because I have a similar problem in my 95. Gas fumes seem to be coming through the ventilation system though and are strongest when the car is first started up. No CEL codes to check though.

Does this sound like the same problem??

Ira

Back