PDA

View Full Version : Stainless DOT approved Brake lines

XxSlowpokexX
10-18-2006, 12:58 AM
These would be for 89-92 SC's only. A direct fit DOT approved 5 peice braided kit. Two front, 2 rear and one center rear line. If you adapt for other year cars of course it will no longer be considered DOT approved...

Price would be $130 shipped within the continental US.

Will be test fitting the lines within the next few weeks to make sure they are definitely a direct fit as stated.

Is there an interest for this?

I realize that there is another manufacturer making kits for all year cars but these would be specifically for the 89-92 SC & xr7 and DOT approved

Dairl
10-18-2006, 01:23 AM
I would be interested in a set.

Dairl

tbirdaj
10-20-2006, 01:11 AM
I would be in as well

XxSlowpokexX
10-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Anyone else? These would be for the 89-92 SC's...Wanting to do a test fit first to see if they definitely fit as we all know about Sc specific parts...

I'll let this go till the end of the week and see what interest there is..Then if I cant get a test fit by me have someone here give it a whirl

Thanks guys

Jason Wild
10-22-2006, 02:03 AM
I would look at a set if you get them done.

XxSlowpokexX
10-22-2006, 02:31 AM
They are done.

This is something to take into consideration. Being DOT approved or Compliant is a big deal to get taken care off

The United States Department of Transportation (DOT) has established numerous standards for automotive components and subsystems. The regulation for brake hoses happens to be FMVSS106. In this document, anything and everything pertaining to automotive brake hoses has been laid out in gory detail – at least, those things important to the federal government.

If a manufacturer claims their SS lines are “DOT compliant”, it means that their SS lines have passed all FMVSS106 requirements, and they have submitted the test data to the government for official certification. This does not mean they are acceptable for use on your car, but it does mean they pass the government minimum standards.

Another term you may hear in this context is “DOT approved.” However, the DOT is not in the business of actually approving or disproving compliance – they don't typically run any tests on aftermarket components themselves. Under these circumstances, one can only surmise that these manufacturers are trying to state that their lines are actually “DOT compliant”, but it never hurts to ask before you buy.

ALso one potential problem I really didnt think of is that as dirt works its way into the braided portions of the stainless line it can wear at the Teflon inner tube...I noticed that my motorcycles stainles slines have a plastic/rubber coating on them

Just a few things to consider..Will keep you all updated soon

Jason Wild
10-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Damon,
thats why it's a good Idea to put clear tube over them to kept the dirt out.
One thing will the fronts fit on to Cobra calipers?

XxSlowpokexX
10-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Jason looking at them I dont see why not..They also have a lifetime warrenty.

I'll have some pictures posted tonight

Kurt K
10-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Just nitpicking I guess, but how can these be advertised as "DOT approved"? When the unknown source you quoted says:

Another term you may hear in this context is “DOT approved.” However, the DOT is not in the business of actually approving or disproving compliance – they don't typically run any tests on aftermarket components themselves. Under these circumstances, one can only surmise that these manufacturers are trying to state that their lines are actually “DOT compliant”, but it never hurts to ask before you buy.

It seems that these brake lines are of similar DOT status as the as the other SS lines that are available. I think it's great that there are more options to obtain parts, but implying inferiority quality by filling threads with rhetoric doesn't do anybody any good.

Thomas A
10-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Was there something wrong with the lines from Classic Tube? I don't have any vested interested with them, I'm just curious. I was going to invite them to contact George about being a paid advertiser for the site, but would like to know if you had an issue with them that you would not purchase the lines from them?

Thomas

Kurt K
10-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Was there something wrong with the lines from Classic Tube? I don't have any vested interested with them, I'm just curious. I was going to invite them to contact George about being a paid advertiser for the site, but would like to know if you had an issue with them that you would not purchase the lines from them?

ThomasI didn't think there was anything wrong with them, although I will admit I haven't installed them yet.

Thomas A
10-24-2006, 01:12 AM
Thanks Kurt. The post was really directed towards Damon.

Thomas

Nettlesd
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Why only the early years?

Tazer999
10-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Will they work with mustang brakes and new style spindles?

Or should I go with the Classic Tube ones instead

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2006, 02:00 AM
It seems that these brake lines are of similar DOT status as the as the other SS lines that are available. I think it's great that there are more options to obtain parts, but implying inferiority quality by filling threads with rhetoric doesn't do anybody any good.

Sorry guys I been away at work. I have in no way implied inferior quality of any lines. Many times a race oriented part be it brake or otherwise will outperform and outlast its OEM counterpart. It's expected and I am not questioning that but you have brought it up in this thread. From what I have been told the other lines did not go through the DOT certification process. And if they did I will retract my statement. As a matter of fact just PM me the post and I will take it out regardless as I really dont care either way

When it comes to Stainless Brake lines not only do the lines themselves have to go through a series of tests to see if they meet DOT FMVSS 106 and TUV/ISO9002 approval the results of these tests must be submitted for the lines to be certified (at least as far as DOT certification is concerned).

These lines are DOT certified..Perhaps Approved was the wrong word being I chose to reference that quote. The lines also have a lifetime warranty.(On factory unmodified vehicles)

Now as far as the DOT certification is concerned it is ALWAYS for use with stock suspension and brake components. The minute you change anything they are no longer certified for that application. The same goes if you use it on a different year or need to change anything to make them fit. (add a fitting, distribution block, adapter) So if it is very important for you to have a product DOT certified for your particular car keep that in mind.

So in reality for most of us that DOT certification would mean only one thing. That the lines properly tested the results sent to the DOT and the proper certification given to them because they passed all of the requirements to become DOT certified.

Now this is what I understand from what I have been told.

As I stated this is a 5 line kit for the earlier model ABS system.

I dont want to get these to anyone untill they have been test fitted to assure fitment. Does anyone know of any differences between 89-92 SC's that would make a kit specified for these years not fit all years?

Also these lines are made by Goodridge and are no longer manufactured by them. The source is what it is untill its gone or untill they deciede to produce them again.

If there is someone who is willing to get these test fitted to a 89-92 SC/Cougar for fitment let me know and I can get a set to you for $100 shipped. Only thing is they would need to be installed ASAP so we can make sure the fitment is correct. I think $130 shipped is a decent deal for 5 lines and dont want to loose out on this.

So I have a set sitting here now Complete with Stickers (ha) for anyone willing to do a test fit.

Just PM me

Damon

Thomas A
10-27-2006, 02:19 AM
Good info. Not to distract from what you are doing, but just as and FYI as I am sure it will come up, here is the info available for the D.O.T. Classic Tube Lines:

What makes a hose D.O.T. certified?
The Department of Transportation (D.O.T.) has developed a set of standards, FMVSS # 06 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard), to which all flexible hoses must perform without failing under extreme conditions. In order to be certified the hose must pass the "whip" test. STOPFLEX® hose's 4 layer design has proved superior under testing conditions and have surpassed D.O.T. conditions.

Thomas

Dahoopd
10-27-2006, 07:21 AM
These would be for 89-92 SC's only. A direct fit DOT approved 5 peice braided kit. Two front, 2 rear and one center rear line. If you adapt for other year cars of course it will no longer be considered DOT approved...

Price would be $130 shipped within the continental US.

Will be test fitting the lines within the next few weeks to make sure they are definitely a direct fit as stated.

Is there an interest for this?

I realize that there is another manufacturer making kits for all year cars but these would be specifically for the 89-92 SC & xr7 and DOT approved

Whats the differance between these and the others that had an experation date of 9/1 on the group buy? They were $125

XxSlowpokexX
10-27-2006, 08:36 AM
From what I can tell this is a 5 peice kit and the other is a 4 peice kit. These also come with a lifetime garuntee. The others were a custom/universal fit and come with new brackets. These do not come with new mounting brackets and are specifically for the earlier year cars.

In all honesty the only real difference you are probably dealing with is that these would come with 5 lines instead of 4 and have a warranty. Unsure if these fit any better or install easier being noone has put them on as of yet. Thats what I'm waiting for before I can say yeas..They work for us...

They should...But I would just like to confirm before I hook us up as a club with them

metanoiadude
11-02-2006, 07:56 PM
i would love to have a set. i will be willing to test fit them if you havent found anyone else to test fit. but the only time i have to work on the old lady is on the week ends.

XR7 Dave
11-02-2006, 08:03 PM
There is no need for 5 lines on an early SC that I know of. They only have 4 lines. Unless this is a kit for both years and the extra line has the correct end on it for the 89. On the 89's the rear union is part of one of the flexible brake lines, not the hard line. So to work you would need a y fitting in the rear.

I have a set of the Goodrich lines that I got from Tire Rack. I haven't tried to install them yet but Jeramie Schall did and he is the one who discovered that you need the extra fitting. I've seen a Goodrich kit with 5 lines before but I couldn't figure out what the extra line was for.....

XxSlowpokexX
11-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Wierd....Maybe one of the 5 lines is for beating someone?

XR7 Dave
11-03-2006, 09:25 AM
I will also offer to check them out. I was wanting another set for the wife's car anyway.

XxSlowpokexX
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Dave,

I sent one out to someone on here already but I can get another set. Just let me know how it goes. I would liek to think the only issue that may arise is the brackets. I recall grinding mine on my stang to make them fit properly (not these but another set)

metanoiadude
11-11-2006, 10:12 PM
ok i have some results on the test fit. the front lines and passanger rear are a direct replacement. but the drivers rear requires a t block with 1 male and 2 female connections. i havent tried looking for one yet but i hope i can find one at discount auto or some place, (along with the hard lines that broke). tools required are a 10mm socket, a 9/16 socket, socket wrench, adjustable wrench, and a few 7/16 flare wrenches,(i broke 2 of them) or a set of crows feet, about a quart of brake fluid or more if you want to flush the system,(my fluid was black as dirty oil). also you will have to fabricate new mounts for the line where it goes from the flex to the hard line, (i used the old mount, broke off the brass block and wrapped some safty wire around it to secure it to the body). this is almost a direct fit but needs some pieces to make it work otherwise its a good kit with dot certified lines witch is good if you ever hit a dot road stop,(not likley in a passenger car). thats about all i have found out yet, if i find where to get a t block ill post another time.

quick35th
11-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Damon, I would be interested in a set for my road racer but I need to know if they will work on my car since it has 13" 4 piston Brembo front brakes.

Shane

XxSlowpokexX
11-24-2006, 04:52 PM
Shane PM me