Rod nut size

pablon2

Anyone know what the nut size is on the OEM rods? 14mm and 9/16" are too large and 13mm and 1/2" are too small. I'm thinking 13.5mm. Why does Ford do this to us?

It has to be either one of those that you tried. I know 90% of the rods out there use a 3/8 fine thread pattern. Bolt/nut sizes are measured by the diameter of the threaded part, not the hex.

Nope

It has to be either one of those that you tried. I know 90% of the rods out there use a 3/8 fine thread pattern. Bolt/nut sizes are measured by the diameter of the threaded part, not the hex.

It's not one of the sockets I tried. I know when a socket fits a nut correctly and neither fit. As David said, 14mm is the closest. That's what I ended up using as I knew the nuts were hardened and would most likely not round off.

P.S. We are talking about an SC here, so there goes your "90%...." argument out the window. :p

I thought you were wanting to know the actual size of the nut and not the hex. Sorry about that. It does throw the 90% rule out the window.:)

I used a 14mm impact socket when I was putting my motor together. I'm gonna go check and see what they are....

'89 and '90 would be similar if anything. 9/16 is a little too big and would start rounding off and the 14mm fit pretty good. Obviously 14mm is smaller than 9/16, but just try it unless it really is just too loose to do so?

'89 and '90 would be similar if anything. 9/16 is a little too big and would start rounding off and the 14mm fit pretty good. Obviously 14mm is smaller than 9/16, but just try it unless it really is just too loose to do so?

We're cool, I was just saying that 14 mm isn't the exact fitting socket for it, but it does work the best of all options in my tool cabinets. For those reading this for info's sake, I checked the corners of the nuts after removing them and saw no noticeable rounding from the 3/8" drive 14mm non-impact socket.

SC rod nuts measure 13.6mm. A 9/16" nut measures 14.1mm. A Japanese 14mm nut measures 14.0mm. Clearly SC rods nuts are a retarded size. I would say most likely they are 33/64 but I've never seen a socket that size. :eek: 17/32 probably wouldn't fit either because that is 13.49mm not to mention I've never seen that size either.

I just measured the nuts and I got 13.62mm.

What you're really supposed to do is tighten them down with a crescent wrench. Thats why they're wierd.

Here's an opportunity for a "New Product and Service". Just kidding. :cool:

P.S. how do you gauge TQ with an adjustable wrench?

I was just kidding, but you can do it. Use a dial indicator to find where the threads start to stretch then stop there.

yep, rod bolts are best set to proper torque through measuring stretch, not torque to turn the nut. Actually all bolts are best to set by measuring stretch, it's just that rod bolts are uniquely easy to do so.

As far as the size of the nut. It's whatever size works to get the suckers off.

Back