cogged pullies?

Kevin Leitem

I have been trying to talk charles from Magnum Powers into making a cog belt system for our cars. I am asking how many people would be interested in this if they would never have to worry about belt slip again?

I tried this several years ago with Rich (prostreetrich). At a cost of $700, only Rich and I were willing to buy a set. It was dropped when I couldn't get the required 5-7 people to buy in.

VW 2.0L engines come with really nice looking cogged pulleys for the crank, cam and water pump in varying sizes. I'm sure with some machining and adapter pieces (quick change style) you could do something cogged for far less. I know timing belts are usually $35 a pop. You could probably get some of the pulleys for free or next to nothing (lot of dead water pumps and stock cam gears laying around).

Just a thought if you want to go cogged, but not pay for custom machined stuff. Just looking at a water pump pulley off the 2.0L VW motor, it looks pretty close in size to a blower pulley.

Micah

Kevin,
It would be nice, but what would the price for the pulley set. Also could they be used on the street?

Thanks
Ken

Kevin,
It would be nice, but what would the price for the pulley set. Also could they be used on the street?

Thanks
Ken

I don't know on the cost, a little more due to extra machining time, but i think it can be reasonable. as for the street, yes they are streetable, probably will have a little whine to them.

why did this get moved? It is not a definate group buy. just wanted to see if there was interest before we move forward.

I would be concerned with snapping the input shaft in the supercharger snout.

i don't think that should be a concern, it would be easier on the snout bearings, idler bearings and even crank bearings. you wouldn't need a ton of tension, Just a little.

How? as far as I understand this won't allow for any play in the pulleys/belts. :eek: This is an interesting subject and I'd like to learn about it some more. :)

How? as far as I understand this won't allow for any play in the pulleys/belts. :eek: This is an interesting subject and I'd like to learn about it some more. :)

there won't be any slip, but since it uses cogs, it doesnt need tension to make it grip. really just need an idler to prevent it from skipping a cog

Certainly, but at nowhere near $$$700...

I think the timing gear idea may be a direction to look at as well.

I am polishing tensioner pullies, so I know I save at least some belt slip...

I was thinking of putting some track bite on it the belts for strip use, but some cogged pullies if affordable would be awesome!

I don't know on the cost, a little more due to extra machining time, but i think it can be reasonable. as for the street, yes they are streetable, probably will have a little whine to them.

Kevin,
I will not mind the whine. What will the OD options be?

Thanks
Ken

I would be interested, but what I'd want is a changeable system. I.e. I would want it straight pulley for the street and then use coggs for the track or for shows.

I guess that means just make the blower pulley quick change. Ideally too the blower pulley would be a little larger to look closer to the ominous image of a 671 pulley.

BTW - thread would be better in the new products area where most new discussions of vapor hardware exists. But it'll work here.

Cool Idea I had looked at this in the past but the cost is high to make just one set.
If MP does not make a set I might know someone thats willing to make some.

This is where it was moved by the sccoa, i started it in non tech forum.

Oh, I know... the moderator just doesn't read enough threads here to know where it fits best, only where it doesn't fit apparently.

but heck yeah, cogged pullies please, just make the blower one quick change or easy to move around.

I just bought a Mori Seiki NL2500YMC lathe with milling capability but will not recieve until the end of Decemeber. I am interested in making a cog pullies if you can wait until the first of 07. It would have to be a group buy of at least ten sets (jack shaft and SC pully). The jack shaft pully could also have the 8th rib added for those with a 8 rib crank pully.

We could also design in the quick change capability.

Mike

Last edited:
Back