HEEELP!!! Urethane custom body work???

Mercury267

Ok, first I want to start off by giving some initial images of what exactly I am trying to accomplish. See the images here and you will understand the madness that is about to ensue…

DCP_1412.jpg

DCP_1413.jpg

DCP_1415.jpg

So that’s the idea… I want to graph in the ‘COBRA’ lettering from the SN95 rear cover into the LX MN12 rear bumper cover. Obviously this is not going to happen by taking the whole cobra section I have and mating it into the T-bird cover, but I grabbed this section to have plenty of material to work with.

Now, I have some ideas about pulling this off, as well as a body man who is VERY good with custom urethane work, BUT I am not sure this can be done, NOR am I certain that the 94/95 LX cover is the proper one to be suing for this project. Maybe I should be using an SC cover, or a PRE-94 LX or SC cover, but without having all of these covers at my disposal I don’t know which might be the best starting point.

From the pics above I am hoping you guys (and of course gals) might be able to make suggestions on what year MN12 rear cover I should start with and/or model option I should track down. I am also very ready to hear anyone’s suggestions on pulling this off as well.

I think your wasting your time its a sc not a mustang I don't think it will look good just my opinion :)

Looks more like an LX, but agreed.

Reminds me of the ricers that stick Cobra or "R" emblems on their cars.

-Rod

IMHO, do what makes you feel right. But its an LX, just like mine. Get an S/C rear bumper, take the THUNDERBIRD off of it and graft it into your LX bumper. Ive seen it done a few times, with mixed results. Better yet, take the S/C bumper, fill in the lettering, then install that on the car. But if you are set on the COBRA, then good luck with that.

IMHO, do what makes you feel right. But its an LX, just like mine. Get an S/C rear bumper, take the THUNDERBIRD off of it and graft it into your LX bumper. Ive seen it done a few times, with mixed results. Better yet, take the S/C bumper, fill in the lettering, then install that on the car. But if you are set on the COBRA, then good luck with that.

hey I appreciate your input. I agree to a degree with everyone else... or atleast can appreciate what they are saying, but this really is being approched with the highest quality of finished product in mind. If it does not turn out looking factory, than it isn't going on the car.

This model is a V8 LX, and although the drivetrain is being done last I have already gotten everything for it that is cobra spec. (supercharged 302, T-56 manual with manual 94 SC parts car, and total aluminum IRS rear). The body work is just being done first, which there are a decent amounts of mods going on here as well.... this just being one of them.

I like the idea, not because of the cobra branding being meshed with the thunderbird, but mostly because I am not hearing of anyon doing the mods I have planned or have done already. I am hoping that when it is all said and done I atleast have a professional end result that is just something different to look at. I think in actuality most of these kinds of mods get disregarded until they are done correctly and installed. I am just not there yet. This is one that can go south way fast, and it is important to me that I don't end up there.

Coming from a street rod background this project is just cool to me because it is on NOT ONLY a later model car, but one that for the most part doesn't get its due respect in the car enthusiest crowd. Although you can't please all of the people all of the time, I am hoping that this car will bump up the appreciation levels that all thunderbirds should get. This is just one step toward that effort.

Thanks again.

Mercy, what ever makes you happy, man!
BTW, Have you found out the S&H charge for my spindels?

Mercy, what ever makes you happy, man!
BTW, Have you found out the S&H charge for my spindels?

I emailed ya twice, the last was just maybe 2 days ago.

I was actually gonna give it this week, email ya one more time and then refund you had I not heard from you. I am wondering if there is a problem w/ my email, but honestly no one else has stated that they are not getting anything from me.

I can resend the email, but the total shipping, not counting the 15 you sent me already was 44 bucks, and that was on the absolute smallest "exact fit" boxes I have... it would be shipped in 2 boxes that are something like 19" X 7" X 10"

As I offerred before, if you want to pay the rest of the shipping that is ok by me, and if you would rather have a refund that is fine also.

If this email thing keeps being a problem, you can reach me at my secondary address which is godwitch67@hotmail.com

my numbers are also 443-864-9144 (cell) or 410-247-2224 (home)... but I am betting from Canada the L.D. is a killer.

PM if need be to let me know what you would like me to do. Thanks

Mercy,

I sent you an email with a pic attached. The 93 or earlier SC cover would work best. Its flat on the letter facing like that of the Cobra. If thats what you really want to do it would work.

what kind of blower are you going to use on the 302? i'm going to use a procharger on mine.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40453&highlight=damon

here's an old link to my project.

Kenny bell blower, AFR 2.02 heads, stroked 302 w/ forged pistons. T-56 manual tranny, and a mark VIII rear with SC upper arms, 31 spline carrier, cobra spec axles, aluminum driveshaft, Lincoln brakes and cobra wheels. This is the drive train I have been purchasing my parts for thus far. However, I am not installing that drivetrain until all the body work mods are completed.

Ok, I have taken Auto Body class from the start of school until know and so this might not be the best oppinion but at least i am not shutting you down like all of the other jack@$$'s on here! (I hate it when they do that!) In my class i have worked with a fiberglass body doing every thing possible to make it all straight! We just got it mounted on the frame all square and what not, so now we
can take it off and finish the paint work on it!

I have a 1996 Mercury Cougar and so this is what i could do if it was my bumper! I don't know how big the letters are but you should cut them out with about 1 inch of free space around the entire word! Then find out about where it would be most flat yet still very vizible (Like on top of the chrome stripping, or below on the lower bumper that faces more up at you!) Then take your bumper off and sand it all down nice and smooth. Once you have done this mark out the exact spot that you want the "cobra" to lay. Then trace along the out side of the cobra lettering square. Take a dremmel and cut out that square on your bumper, making it as tight of fit as possible. :eek: (I know it is going to make you rather shacky but remember it is for the best! :) ) Then take this body glue made by norton called "Structual Adhesive" and glue it from the back side making sure that it is as flush as possible on the visible side. And they make different types of this glue depending on what you are glueing together! This is really good stuff and you will not be dissatisfied! It will hold like cement. Then grind it down so that it doesn't look all gay and bumpy on the back side, you might want to put a reenforcement plate on the back side to make it alittle stronger! Then use body filler or fiberglass to fill in the space all around the out side and make sure that you don't get any into the letters because it is really hard to get out! Then sand that down with 180 grit sand paper. Then make sure it is all straight with no ridges. If there is than just put some more on so that it is all flush, and don't be afraid to sand into the plastic alittle so that it is all flush. Then prime and paint is all that is needed and that is another book to be read but i figure you will probably have that perfessionally done so i guess that is all i have for you! Except, "good luck" of course! :)

Oh and by the way you must really have a deep passion for your Thunderbird! I know the feeling because there is nothing more i want than for my cougar to be the hottest thing on the streets. And i have to say, "Thank You Man" for showing your love and appreciation for these cars in your last few posts!

Matts - Thank you for you input. The info you supplied will certainly go into my pocket to explore. Actually you ARE on the right track 100%. I have received from 3 reliable sources in addition to you that the process you are detailing is correct. I think the only difference is the name of the adhesive, but the principle is the same. Thank you again!

Also, I appreciate what you are saying, and the support means a lot. I will say that on SCCOA I am a low man on totum, and most of these guys really do know their stuff! I almost didn't post anything on this project here because SCCOA is SC specific and I think these guys deserve some respect for that. To many guys posting for the LX is gonna bend the curve of this sight over to that of TCCOA, and each serve their specific purpose and are very good at it.

I know what you mean about some of the replies here on SCCOA - ESPECIALLY when you are talking cougar and LX cars. I have had my goat gotten on plenty of occassions, but I always have to eventually realize TWO very important facts! One, is that they are SC specific here, and to an extent when they are on these boards they probably want to hear about us about as much as bunch of monster truck guys would want to hear about someone's ricer import drifter car. I figure that you and I coming to SCCOA is about equal to the idea of a guy who wanted to make a 4 X 4 out of his Turbo honda civic. He needs access the the info... but he should realize where he is. The second, is that for every BAD comment collected here... there are TEN GOOD ONES!

I can relate to you 100% and really am greatful you took the time to back me on this idea! I am just trying to be understanding that this idea probably isn't gonna be real popular in the SC crowd... and probably nor should it be.

Thanks again, and good luck with your cougar!!!

least i am not shutting you down like all of the other jack@$$'s on here! (I hate it when they do that!) !

First off, nobody shut anybody down. He posted "From the pics above I am hoping you guys (and of course gals) might be able to make suggestions on what year MN12 rear cover I should start with and/or model option I should track down. I am also very ready to hear anyone’s suggestions on pulling this off as well." OK, everyone has posted their opinion. I opined what I thought was an alternative to adding the COBRA and "IMHO, do what makes you feel right. But its an LX, just like mine.". He has bold ideas, and he is free to persue them. And everyone who has access to the forum has his/her right to an opinion. I hope you "matts_96_xr7" never take your car to a car show. Your in for a rude surprise.
Good luck with this AND LET US KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT. Just dont expect it all to be flowers and candy.

Regardless of how "cool" it will look when its done, I have these suggestions.

"Structual Adhesive" is too expensive, and Body filler will break when flexed and I hate fiberglass, so thats no good.

Use a jig for the final cuts.

Essex makes some special gunk for this specific job, I forget what it is. Find somebody who knows a REAL bodyman who can get you the stuff, just make sure he knows what kind of plastic the bumper is.

You might need to borrow a heatgun, alot of tape and a bunch of crazy clamps as well. Just ask the dude how to do it or bribe him with beer.

Grab a tube of windshield urethane while your at it, wow that stuff is handy.

An early model bumper cover would be "off the hook", but for the love of god, I implore you to not cut holes for the tailpipes.

Last edited:
........but at least i am not shutting you down like all of the other jack@$$'s on here! (I hate it when they do that!) ......

Oh great, we have another "expert" that knows more than anyone else anywhere..... just because he took a couple of classes :cool:

Someone should look up the latin derivatives of the word "expert" some time ;).

Mercy,

If you plan to attack this on your own. There is a place right down from Crazy Rays on 40 called Marty's, it's on the right. They are a body & paint supplier and have everything you need.

ex·pert (n.)
1.) A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.
2.)The highest grade that can be achieved in marksmanship.
3.)A person who has achieved this grade.

Ok well there is the definition for expert on dictionary.com! But, i never said i was an expert, i said that i was probably not a reliable source, but i had an idea!

Structural Adhesive is expensive :) but what do you think he expected? :confused:

And by the way i didn't say that i knew everything because i took a couple of classes! i said i had an idea and left it open for discusion.

racecougar is a good man i have always liked him on every form he has every been on, but he did say that he said it reminded him of the ricers and that is just rude! The man has an idea and to shot it down with a ricer joke is just plane not ethical! Sorry racecougar but you were in the wrong on this one! :eek: But i also didn't mean that everyone was shotting down this thread (Even though i din't exactly specify) but i have seen many people on SCCOA, TCCOA, and COUGARNUTS be dumb and not even give the guy a chance at what he wants. Now obviously Mercury267 would know the danger he is getting into when you cut a hole in your bumper! If people would tell him how they think it could be done then he can figure out the dangers and expences!

And as for the whole never take your car to a car show thing is supposed to mean what exactly? If it is supposed to mean that i am going to get my @$$ handed to me then you are dead wrong boy! You have never seen my cougar so you cannot talk on that respect!

mercury267

Down fellas down, now come on the only skill, knowledge, and patience here that is really important is Mercury267`s. It`s up to his good judgement and skill for this project to turn out right. Persoanlly if he likes it thats all that really matters, and all he has to say when its done when someone critizes it, is "to late now":D

Take your time man, make sure you dont glue a finger where you dont want it.:p

How about this> Try a router on another section and see if you can cut your own letters using a guide into the bumper.

Back