steering/brake issues

Foxx_Roxx

hi this is my first sc it is a 90 and im having issues with the steering and brakes

brake problem: stiff/hard pedal brake/abs lights on most the time, fluid full

steering problem: stiff/hard, fluid full

however steering sometimes trys to work and when steering tries i notice the brakes get some power back to them

i replaced ps pump and all seemed to work just fine (about 1 min) till i turned steering all the way to right to start pushing any air out, then went rite back to stiff like the ps pump was suddenly shut off, i looked in res and didnt see much movement in fluid like normal

could i be trippin a senser? or have a bad senser or clog somewhere?

it was used pump and senser because i couldnt get pully off and used the good C shaped tool but started to pull ears off pully, and holly crap try to find a sc in a salvage yard lol, found one thru guy that worked in salvage yard and knew someone with complete engine and bought ps pump and ac compressor as this car had reg LX ac comp and was running reg serp belt (is now all back to orig pully sizes and belt)

a friend of mine says im missing the suspension computer in the trunk (a long plug with 1 bolt in center) could this be the prob or part of the prob?

anyone have any thoughts?

ya i read thru that and will do some testing, just seems werd that there is a link between the two but i didnt see where barkes and steering have any tie together like some brake systems that do get asst from ps pump

far as the other pump and senser, other then the used one working good till i turned wheel all the way its seems im rite back where i was before swaping:mad:

far as the firm light it only comes on when its basically floored but i dont really notice any change in ride and its ride feels like the rear shocks are worn, but if i am missing suspension brain that could be why

Last edited:
ya i read thru that and will do some testing, just seems werd that there is a link between the two but i didnt see where barkes and steering have any tie together like some brake systems that do get asst from ps pump

far as the other pump and senser, other then the used one working good till i turned wheel all the way its seems im rite back where i was before swaping:mad:

far as the firm light it only comes on when its basically floored but i dont really notice any change in ride and its ride feels like the rear shocks are worn, but if i am missing suspension brain that could be why

The other thing you have to do is bleed off the air from the steering system. If you feel any stiffness showing up suddenly on your steering while going through the turning range usually indicates air in the system. You need to run a vacuum on your PS system and turn it through it full range several times for several minutes to suck out all the air. My LX had the same prob till I bled out the air,

its not just a stiff spot here and there its like the pump was completely shut off and there is no power at all like the belt is off

Back