tranny swap

Collisionsystm

Hey Im lookin to swap a transmission out of an 88 Thunderbird 5.0 with an AOD into my 1990 Supercoupe with an AOD. Im sure its possible...Just wanted to double check. And is the torque converter swappable to?

Yes, it'll swap in. Some of the internals are not as strong as the SC specific tranny. SC uses "A" overdrive servo and the 5.0 probably has a "B" servo. Some of the clutch packs may not have as many frictions also. SC has tv cable and the older tranny may have a rod for tv, because of that you may have to swap the shift and tv arms on the tranny. John

I recently pulled a rebuilt AOD from my 90 SC, it was built with the case from a 1983 Thunderbird, a 1984 Thunderbird vave body, a B servo, and lord knows what for internals. I know my old 83 Tbird had a tv rod so the swap must be possible. :) The governer exploded on it and it wouldnt shift out of first, it lasted about 6 years from rebuilder to junk

I dont think the TC on a 5.0 has a different bolt pattern, but ive never tried it either. If not you could get a used TC for cheap from someone here.

yea it will

say yea the TC will fit i had done this b4 but the trans didnt last long but it was a junk yard trans after that i just got the stock SC trans rebuilt

Back