accumulator code???

NightMare3.8

i was just lookin to see why my brake lights wont go off and i saw people saying the accumulator ball or relay or both could be bad. i took it to a computer and it didnt read anything...would an accumulator throw a code or not...? thanks in advance

A few questions...

What year SC is this?
When you say the brake lights won't go off, are you saying the tail lights, or the warning lights on the instrument panel?
Do the brakes operate properly?

If it is a tail light problem, you probably have a bad/stuck switch on the brake pedal. If it is the brake warning indicator on the panel, and the brakes are operating properly, you may be low on fluid causing the fluid level sensor on the reservoir cap to trigger the warning light (or the sensor is bad).

sorry about not makin it clear the first time. its a 1990 auto. the warning lights for the abs and ebrake will not turn off unless the ignition is off but the brakes work properly...i can be doin 40 and nail the brakes and it slows down in a heartbeat...

Try this...

ABS problems can sometimes be caused by a faulty ignition switch. Try "jiggling" the key a little with the ignition in the ON position, without the engine running. All the power for the electrical systems runs through the ignition switch. If you jiggle the key in the ignition and the warning lights go out, you have a bad ignition switch.
When you turn the key to ON, listen for the hydraulic pump to see if it cycles on to bring the system up to pressure. The pump should run for a few seconds and then stop.
If the pump cycles like it should and the warning indicators stay on, at least you know the system is operating. There are 2 relays for the Teves Mark II ABS. One (the "brown pump relay") is for the hydraulic pump, the other is called the accessory relay. It triggers the warning lights when the ABS controller detects a fault condition. You may have a bad accessory relay. Both of the ABS relays are located up by the firewall, under the cowling, on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Back