Uh-Oh--A Crack

ecyrbh

Ive begun the cleanup process on my '91 and after pressure washing the engine bay(engine out),I noticed a crack in the firewall toward the center of the car to the left of the master cylinder.Its approx. 2 in. long and jagged.Is this a common problem for these cars and should I be concerned?I have been on SCP website and have seen the braces for sale but is it already too late?Can I safely repair this without a meltdown or fire by welding up? Please, Any Help in this matter will be appreciated:(

The cracks are typical. You can't weld them without taking out the dash so it is best just to leave it for now. I'd put some sealer on it if you can so that water doesn't get in. (like RTV).

The braces should help but it's hard to say. 80% of all SC's I work on have the cracks and 100% of the ones that have been driven hard do. You will also find cracks under your rear seat. Do a search and you'll find pictures.

Where under rear seat?Can it be seen from underneath(tank removed)?Search not working for me,Dont know why.....

Last edited:
Well,I pulled up my rear cushion,peeled back my carpet,looked under trunk mat,and didnt find any cracks.I did this with a flashlight at night(scared of what I might find after search article from XR7Dave).Iwill take a better look this weekend in daylight.So far Im relieved at what Ive found.When I had my fuel tank out recently(to drain old fuel and change fuel pump),I didnt see any tell-tail rust stains or unusual marks,but wasnt aware of this problem at that time.Where else should I look for cracks?

Back