cold air intake

Oh I am glad you ask , It is a good $$ buy but a big joke POS does not fit, 14 days to recieve look at his feed back last "negative" is for this item & I am having the same problem & he will not respond, so I have filed a complaint, I still need to leave feedback just trying to get him to fix the problem & he is still selling the kit, now notice the 3.8 NA & SC are alike...??? I have 2 inlet tubes identical.
ask questions before you bid, & if he replies forward it to me... hes a real coward. my money must have been no good:confused: I have pictures....will post ASAP

my winning bid page , note the picture on top & pic down differ, the tube is shorter under the top pic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=270035471311&rd=1&rd=1

Last edited:
You are getting a quality you paid for...:rolleyes:
Do a search here and find out how many guys are very disappointed with the intake...

not always, the material is good & all it just is the wrong kit, I also got a kit to my friends GTP (5.95 +11 S&H) & it went on in minutes & he is verry happy with it.

im sure youve heard it all before but the gains to be had can be gained without changing teh intake tube or the maf. free upgrade: air silencer box. next upgrade, exhaust. cheap way and most power : run illegally, catless w/redone downtubes and replace the mufflers with glasspacks or be a really illegal bastard and run openheader. that might sound cool, actually. My 280ZX sounded bad (as in good-bad) as hell openheader, it sounded like a WWI fighterplane, loud, angry and unrefined
or go an easier way and redo your downtubes, weld in larger, freer flowing cats without bends in them, and replace the resonator and mufflers.

what I am considering doing is having the cats and downtubes spliced neatly out, and putting them aside for smogtime 2 years from now, since my resonator has already been upgraded to magnaflow and I figure the stock mufflers themselves cant be too restrictive, and I dont want to draw any more police atttention than I need to, so those I am leaving stock.
Just from having exhaust redone many people have gained as much as a second on ETs at the track on the 1/4, which is a HUGE improvement for such a simple mod, whereas intake modifications have had less dramatic results. I think it yields something like 25? hp. I could just be grossly exaggerating, but there is a substantial gain to be had for such an inexpensive (and engine-safety related) mod. The exhaust now will save you from doing headgaskets later on.

-ghost

my member pages (2 cars) show all that, been at it 8 years, been a member for7
done many recomended mods & fixes both run good to date.

Just bought and installed one

I just bought one of those exact kits and installed on my '95. No, it's not a perfect fit by any means. But for $40, if you've got any "McGiver" sense at all, it will work fine. I got mine installed in under an hour. If you trim the "heel" sticking out on the pipe near the crankase tube bung, it will save some time. I knew what I was getting. I just didn't want to drop $200 for two pieces of pipe and a couple of rubber couplers. I think it's a great buy. The air doesn't know how much you paid for the pipe it flows through. So what the heck. If you want, I'll post a picture of my install (will help greatly, trust me). Save $160 for an hours work.

you know i was very happy with my 3 inch exhaust tube that i fabricated into an intake. and i bought a 70 degree bend 3 inch tube on ebay. and BAM! cold air intake. i put a 3 1/2 cone filter at the end of the MAF and when you stepped on it! nothing but the SCREAM of the SC pushing 15lbs of boost!

Some early pics

I put on the cold air as part of my intercooler install. My intercooler pipes ran through the air box so it had to go. These pics are before I fitted it in properly. I'll take some detailed pix tomorrow and post them tomorrow night. IF you will notice, the pipe doesn't fit up to the throttle body correctly. I trimmed a "heel" of of the end of the pipe and made it fit much better. I used an "L" bracket and large hose clamp to secure it where it fits through the airbox hole. These pics are only to help you orient the pipes, the pics tomorrow will show them fitted properly in detail. Get out the hacksaw.

Attachments

• coldair2.jpg
    coldair2.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 136
  • coldair1.jpg
    coldair1.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 127
  • coldair3.jpg
    coldair3.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 125
we already have cold air intake stock .

ive tested my parts using the stock intake and air box and also a cold air intake and noticed nada zilch nothing in power gain.

unless your pushing 300 hp its a waist of money.

we already have cold air intake stock .

ive tested my parts using the stock intake and air box and also a cold air intake and noticed nada zilch nothing in power gain.

unless your pushing 300 hp its a waist of money.

Yeah, but the sound is sweet. With a CAI, you here me coming........lol

I bought a 12 inch piece of 3" aluminum tube off ebay for $13, added some cheesy $6 couplings from Auto Zone and Wha-La......$26 CAI. Of course I still have to put the bracket on to support the MAF and I fabbed a nice little divider. For abot $30 I got a "it'll work" CAI.Divider

Attachments

• CAI.jpg
    CAI.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I have that intake on my 90 SC. I put it on in like 30 minutes. The tricky part was getting the lower tube and filter down under the cover. I did it through the front of the bumper without taking anything apart but I don't have foglights or the big brackets for them anymore. And I scratched my hand and arm up getting it in there. Like the pic shows, it doesn't fit well near the throttle body. It has a lip that actually turns down slightly. The rubber coupler will make it work but its not a perfect fit. I didn't notice much of an increase in sound over my K&N in the stock air box and removed air silencer. I even sealed up the sound ports on my supercharger. I mean you can hear my blower in the car, but its not as loud as I'd like it to be.

The filter is cheap and not oil soaked. It looks like one of the cheap ricer filters. I was going to put a true K&N on it, but it's not a priority now.

I don't know if they are the same people selling intakes for Z24 Cavalier's on ebay but I bought one for my girlfriends car and it made the intake louder and deeper now that you can hear it. I was thinking on getting the ZEX filter with the nozzle mount to put on her car when I put some spray on it.

Better pics

Here are some better pix. Sorry, but I didn't take any as I was fitting it in. You can see there's still a bulge where it meets the throttle body. The L-shaped bracket that I used to support it as it goes through the airbox hole comes with the kit. I just attached it to the pipe with the hose clamp. This survived a 400 mile road trip and two twenty minute touring sessions on Road Atlanta without slipping, so I think it'll stay put. Be sure and cut the heel or hump away from the end of the pipe where it meets the TB. And most cars will get more acurate MAF readings if you turn it sideways as the curve in the pipe alters the flow over the element. The filter is a cloth K&N clone that does not come oiled, but should be. Just grab a K&N recharge kit from Autozone, etc. DO NOT over oil the filter. Very light oil or your MAF will catch the oil and go nuts.
The IC piping kit and silicone connectors came from ebay. Just do a search of my posts. I've got pics, etc.

Attachments

• coldair5.jpg
    coldair5.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 73
  • coldair6.jpg
    coldair6.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 90
  • coldair7.jpg
    coldair7.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 64
Yeah, but the sound is sweet. With a CAI, you here me coming........lol

I bought a 12 inch piece of 3" aluminum tube off ebay for $13, added some cheesy $6 couplings from Auto Zone and Wha-La......$26 CAI. Of course I still have to put the bracket on to support the MAF and I fabbed a nice little divider. For abot $30 I got a "it'll work" CAI.Divider

true dat :eek:

Here are some better pix. Sorry, but I didn't take any as I was fitting it in. You can see there's still a bulge where it meets the throttle body. The L-shaped bracket that I used to support it as it goes through the airbox hole comes with the kit. I just attached it to the pipe with the hose clamp. This survived a 400 mile road trip and two twenty minute touring sessions on Road Atlanta without slipping, so I think it'll stay put. Be sure and cut the heel or hump away from the end of the pipe where it meets the TB. And most cars will get more acurate MAF readings if you turn it sideways as the curve in the pipe alters the flow over the element. The filter is a cloth K&N clone that does not come oiled, but should be. Just grab a K&N recharge kit from Autozone, etc. DO NOT over oil the filter. Very light oil or your MAF will catch the oil and go nuts.
The IC piping kit and silicone connectors came from ebay. Just do a search of my posts. I've got pics, etc.

where did you get that setup from? id love to get that!!:cool:

where did you get that setup from? id love to get that!!:cool:

Back