Brake problem?

Blown95

I have this squeek, very annoying, coming from my brakes. It only happens when I apply medium pressure after the brakes warm up, when I apply the brakes harder it goes away.

So, I decided to go to Midas, where they did my brakes the first time and I got the lifetime warranty deal. The guy was very helpfull. He took the car for a spin, took the wheels off, and checked the brakes. Then he asked me how many miles I put on the current pads, and when I toold him just over 50k he was very surprised. He said "You should be able to go another 50k before having to replace them." The pads are well within specs and don't need to be replaced. He even showed me, and they look very good for having been driven 50k miles.

Now to the squeek. He said new pads may or may not get rid of the noise. Early morning moisture will cause a squeek, I know that. But I live in Kansas. It is pretty dry right now. He also said high eat would cause the squeek. Maybe, it has been pretty hot latelly. But the brakes squeeked this morning on the way to Midas, and it was only 74 degrees outside. Pretty cool for mid August in Kansas.

So, how do I get rid of the squeek? New pads? The guy at Midas recommended Bendix pads. New rotors? Crossdrilled perhaps? Some ear plugs? Turn the stereo up louder?
Seriously, how do i fix this without spedding a few hundred $$ on a complete new brake system.

Thanks

Blown95 - 95 SC, 127k and not quite stock.

The guys at Autozone (now don't slam me just yet.. I'm getting to the funny part) said to use grease. OK.. let me see.. I put grease on the pads and viola! no more squeeking.. no more brakes either..

Actually, what you do it apply it to the back side of the pad between the caliper and the pad or the piston and the pad. Also, if your pads are the cheapy ones, there will be just 2 layers instead of 3. e.g. you will have pad material bonded to a steel plate and thats it as compared to pad material, steel plate, and thin squeek pad.

Back