Adjusting IAC on '89 model?

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
I'm formiliar on how to do this however the '89 I picked up has no screw to make adjustment...I'm guessing the '89s were a shade different. How do you go about this. I have my old one off the '93 but what was the reason for the difference?

At this point I have an idle issue. Car wants to idle at 2700-3k and then just wants to drive itself. I know this is related to either a bad IAC or TPS however need assistance on how to adjust this TB.

Thanks!

-Tim

All you had to do was call me. The Iac is not adjustable, it most likely needs to be replaced. Did you clean it?

Do not use carb cleaner. It will dry out the plastic diaphram, which is most likely already toast. Take the IAC off and look into it and see what is going on.

Check the back of the plemum a vacumline has fallen off garaunteed.. even my failed IAC never idle that high but teh vacume lne fell off the inlet plenum and VROOOOOOOOM

Check the back of the plemum a vacumline has fallen off garaunteed.. even my failed IAC never idle that high but teh vacume lne fell off the inlet plenum and VROOOOOOOOM

Well it's vacum related that is for sure! I put the car in gear and road the clutch to bring the idle down to 1k...at that time the vac was at 12 so there is no doubt it's vacum related. I plan to take the top half off this weekend to replace the valve cover gaskets since they're leaking really bad. At that point I will seal everything up like it should be and I imagine it will be good to go. Funny that I bought this nice car for nearly nothing since the owner and his mechanic couldn't figure out what was wrong with it...I almost feel bad to take it like this, but I told the guy I would help him fix it if he didn't want to sell.

Good to know its so easy, plus the car runs so smooth and so quiet its amazing!

Thanks for the help!

-Tim

Back