harmonic balancer choices...?

1990tbirdsc

:eek: what do you guys think about getting a new ford harmonic balancer ,,, i have a 1990 sc ,automatic,with 136,000 miles and i dont really have the money for a new BHJ balancer ,,, so i was thinking of a new ford balancer ...
does anyone know how much they cost ....or can i even still get them ..??? :cool:

"Pay me now, or pay me later..."

It's really a question of "price" and "value" when looking for a new balancer. The OEM Ford unit will cost less "per unit" than a BHJ. They are becoming scarce from what I hear so it may not be easy to find a NEW one. The real issue is reliability. The OEM comes with the pulley attached, but I'm not convinced that it is actually Zero-Balanced as a unit when you get it. I had a new OEM break within a year of install. If you go the OEM route, I suggest that you have it checked for zero-balance at a machine shop and then install it with a NEW bolt at the specified amount of torque. Once its on, never remove and reuse it or you will be on borrowed time. There is still no guarantee that the new stocker won't fail down the road (literally) and need to be replaced. The BHJ, on the other hand, is more expensive to buy, but it is a high quality unit that will not break because of the superior design and materials. You will need to get a zero-balanced pulley (or have your stock pulley balanced with the BHJ), so that additional cost is about the same with either unit. The BHJ can be reused if it is ever necessary to remove it. I broke 3 stock units (2 new, 1 used) before I got my BHJ in the original "group buy". I think that was back in 2001 and have had no problems since then.

For my money, the extra $100 or so was well worth it to never have to deal with the balancer issue again...

It's really a question of "price" and "value" when looking for a new balancer. The OEM Ford unit will cost less "per unit" than a BHJ. They are becoming scarce from what I hear so it may not be easy to find a NEW one. The real issue is reliability. The OEM comes with the pulley attached, but I'm not convinced that it is actually Zero-Balanced as a unit when you get it. I had a new OEM break within a year of install. If you go the OEM route, I suggest that you have it checked for zero-balance at a machine shop and then install it with a NEW bolt at the specified amount of torque. Once its on, never remove and reuse it or you will be on borrowed time. There is still no guarantee that the new stocker won't fail down the road (literally) and need to be replaced. The BHJ, on the other hand, is more expensive to buy, but it is a high quality unit that will not break because of the superior design and materials. You will need to get a zero-balanced pulley (or have your stock pulley balanced with the BHJ), so that additional cost is about the same with either unit. The BHJ can be reused if it is ever necessary to remove it. I broke 3 stock units (2 new, 1 used) before I got my BHJ in the original "group buy". I think that was back in 2001 and have had no problems since then.

For my money, the extra $100 or so was well worth it to never have to deal with the balancer issue again...

Amen to that. Mine hasnt acted up or broke yet, but since my Supercoupe is in the garage for the winter anyway, I figure I may aswell get that switched off for a BHJ balancer if nothing else, for piece of mind. Besides, my SC is decently modded and the more power you make, the more you'll be glad you got a stronger balancer.

I spoke on the phone briefly with Paul about his alternative to the BHJ, I like what I heard (wont ruin his reveal) and if I can ever save up some money I will buy one of his.

The first balancer you broke was a New Ford Balancer that was only 4 years old.
That balancer was around $200 4 years ago. Have you even priced one to compare to a BHJ?

I wouldn't even bother with anything other than the BHJ.

If you still want to look into the Ford part, ask for a quote for the Ford balancer from these people. I have done business with them in the past, should be cheaper than the Ford dealer.

http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com

I sent you a PM on a used BHJ.

Last edited:
BHJ take away the 'H' for that money!

you can get a new Ford one for under $300, but duarbility wise your better off going with BHJ

ford HB's most commonly fail after 100k.
What are the odds that more than 10 people on this board are going to put that kind of mileage on the car before it gets sold or wrecked or gas becomes replaced?
Take 8 years for that failure to repeat minimum.
Dont waste money on a gimmick that is going to be heavier and a pain to install. Find an OEM at a good price and save your money!:rolleyes:

What are the odds that more than 10 people on this board are going to put that kind of mileage on the car before it gets sold or wrecked or gas becomes replaced?
Dont waste money on a gimmick that is going to be heavier and a pain to install. Find an OEM at a good price and save your money!:rolleyes:

Well a New Ford Balancer only lasted 4 years for 1990tbirdsc so that $200 has already been wasted. My balancer lasted 100,000 miles on my 89 SC, but the car was only driven less than 9000 miles a year by the original owner, who probably drove it like grandma. I thought as you do and bought a Ford replacement balancer, I regret that decision. When I bought my 89 SC in 2000, I didn't expect to blow headgaskets, have AOD failures, or balancer issues as I maintain my vehicles. Since 2000, I have replaced 4 SC headgaskets, three balancers, 3 starters, pulled 3 AODs, replaced 2 radiators, 3 headlight switches amd repaired 6 door glass mounting tabs on 5 different SCs. These are common failures and just becasue you haven't had these failures yet you will.

The factory balancer is not up to the task if the car is driven under boost like most enthusiast do. We have very little aftermarket parts for our cars, and one of these is a better balancer. Do you really think it's a coincidence?

Some may last 8 years and others may only last 2. The Ford balancer is a cheap POS and when it fails it usually takes the crank sensor and radiator out at the same time. If you plan on keeping your SC for any length of time, don't use an OEM balancer.

David

is ther ways 2 tell if the balancer is goin 2 fall off b4 it could my car has 102000miles with stock balancer is mine goin 2 brake

against all odds

Have a '90 SC with 327,000 miles on an original HB. An obvious exception to the rule. Car still runs like a top but the market value is about the same (or less) as a new HB.

Have a '90 SC with 327,000 miles on an original HB. An obvious exception to the rule. Car still runs like a top but the market value is about the same (or less) as a new HB.

Yes, it depends on the internal balance of the motor from the factory, I believe. My motor went 200K miles on the OE balancer but when I took it off it came off in 2 pieces and the elastomer was totally hard as crystal meaning that the balancer was no longer doing any harmonic dampening. In general terms if your car has over 80K miles then most likely the OE balancer is completely shot. I've taken apart many SC motors and the story is always the same.

helpful hints

when you make a decision to do the harmonic balancer and have the tools to do it with, do it your self. i had a shop in the area do mine and the balancer and mounting with crank sensor was over $500. i almost craped my pants.:mad: and that was with a ford type replacement. i dont remember the make but it was more like the ford than the bhj. i think he said it was $210 for the balancer and pulley as a unit. when mine failed it didnt take out the rad or anything. the car would just shut off and after 5-10 min would start and drive fine again. weird huh

Thats how mine failed, elastomer got hard and the outer ring spun, throwing it just enough off balance to tap the crank sensor, it would run sometimes, but most of the time not. I'm on completely borrowed time now with my used factory replacement. I check it after every drive:)

Current OEM list prices balancer

I am a service consultant for Enterprise Rental Co here in St Louis one of the tools we use is Aldata a software program by Motors. I came up with 3 part numbers now it is not always current but the part# I came up with are:

89-91 E9SZ6B321A List $222.95 if available can buy for $178.36

92-93 E9SZ6B321C List $431.65 if available can buy for $345.32

94-95 F4SZ6B321A List $362.83 if available can buy for $290.26

I do not know the difference between the part numbers or availability but the web site if interested is WWW.newfordparts.com for purchase if part is available you can buy from this website. You just enter the part # if known and you will get list price plus what you would pay for it if available. The price is usually around 8-10% over dealer cost, sometimes less

I would be curious as to what is the difference in the 89-91 and 92-93. It may be a superceded part# that is no longer available I have not researched that possibility.

With this information, I have negotiated with local dealers and have purchased a cam sensor, Diff axle and pinion seals, at close to the prices I have gotten off of this site. Close enough that with shipping added not worth getting shipped.

This is only FYI information, reading the experiences of the other SC owners I would go with the concenses the best value is one of the other options available to us, for long term reliability.

Back