PDA

View Full Version : New BHJ and stock Ford damper alternative is here!

BT Motorsports
10-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Details to follow tomorrow morning, for now, here is a teaser pic:
http://www.bluetonguemotorsports.com/misc/new_damper1.jpg

Paul

trife86
10-27-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.grandmarq.net/forum/images/smiles/drools.gif

the-big-e
10-27-2006, 03:05 PM
$$$$$$???????

rzimmerl
10-27-2006, 03:27 PM
swweeeeetttt!!!!!!!!!!:D

Kurt K
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Sfi???????

seawalkersee
10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
What is the wait on the details for? Your enjoyment? That is TOTALLY wrong. So..........how much does it weigh? I can see the bolts on it but what are they for? Is it two piece? Filled or Solid? SFI? Ya know...the basics...HOW MUCH????????????

Chris

NickM
10-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I'm with everyone else. How much? When?

Nick

Mike8675309
10-27-2006, 11:11 PM
This maybe coming at the right time. Could throw the BHJ I got for my race car onto the show car, and go with something new on the race car. But we need some details.

I noticed the lack of an elastomer. How might it dampen vibrations, is it gonna be a rattler?

BT Motorsports
10-28-2006, 05:41 AM
What is the wait on the details for? Your enjoyment? That is TOTALLY wrong.

Chris
The wait is because I had to go to my regular job which demanded 14 hours of my life today. I will be doing it all over again tomorrow and Sunday for 15 and 16 hours respectively so you will have to be a little patient with the timeline.

Some quick answers, I will try to get the rest of the finer details up tomorrow sometime after work.
Early and late style are both SFI approved and there is Mustang specific piece as well for the V6. At the moment (it may end up lighter, we are evaluating how much weight could be lost if any), weight comes in right around the same as the regular BHJ which puts it 1lb lighter than the SFI approved BHJ. The hub is billet steel and the outer is billet aluminum. It does not have an elastomer, it uses a friction material to dampen harmonics. It is designed to acheive 100,000 mile rebuild intervals and comes with a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty against failure or defects. After that, a rebuild option will be available should the unit ever need it. It will come anodized, the hub will be black, the outer will be available in black, blue and red. It is a hone to fit piece like the BHJ, however, due to its modular design, the hub can be installed first without the outer section to ease installation. As a result, once the proper interference fit is acheived, you can heat the hub up and install it without the need for an installation tool. Price is to be announced in an upcoming group buy but I will say that regular pricing will be cheaper than the BHJ.

BTW, the part shown in the photo is a first article. It took just 4 weeks from the time I entered into an exclusinve agreement to have these manufactured for the Ford V6 units, till I received the first article. We are just now at the 6 week mark and barring changes to the design to lighten it, it is ready to begin production.

Paul

Dahoopd
10-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Paul,

What is the reason for rebuild? What would cause the need?

BT Motorsports
10-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Paul,

What is the reason for rebuild? What would cause the need?
Just like any other product which uses a friction material (transmission, clutch rear differential etc), the friction will eventually wear out. How long it lasts really depends on the actual balance condition of the engine. A race engine which has had the rotating assembly properly balanced could effectively have a longer rebuid interval than a stock engine. As I said earlier, we have designed this piece to have a 100,000 mile minimum lifetime, that certainly does not mean it won't or cannot last longer.

Since the damper is actually 2 pieces that are bolted together, should a rebuild ever become needed, you would simply send in the outer section which contains the friction material and leave the hub installed on the car. A core exchange may even be possible, I will have to look into how that would or would not effect SFI approval.
Those who will be racing their vehicles often, will have the option of sending their damper in for a yearly inspection for a very low fee if they so choose.

Paul

pablon2
10-28-2006, 02:45 PM
This all sounds very promising.

XxSlowpokexX
10-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Sweeettttttttt:rolleyes:

David Neibert
10-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Paul,

I'm not familiar with balancers that use friction material instead of an elastomer ring....can you explain how that works. Trying to visualize the mechanics of it and I'm drawing a blank.

David

BT Motorsports
10-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Paul,

I'm not familiar with balancers that use friction material instead of an elastomer ring....can you explain how that works. Trying to visualize the mechanics of it and I'm drawing a blank.

David

The inner part is stationary and the outer section is allowed to slip (a limited amount of course) with the friction material being in between the two components. The friction absorbs the harmonics and dissapates the engery in the form of heat. I will give a more detailed idea of how it works tomorrow when I have more available time.

Paul

David Neibert
10-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Okay thanks.

David

XR7 Dave
10-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I've talked to Paul about the specifics of this new damper and I feel that this is a product that BHJ should have provided us years ago for a couple of reasons.

First off, this balancer is SFI certified. Not a big deal to many of us but with the faster and faster our SC's get this is becoming more relevant. I don't expect to ever see a BHJ come apart but knowing that the balancer is certified is definitely reassuring and worth a few extra $$. SFI certification is not just a stamp or sticker, it reflects a design that is proven to hold up at high rpm (12,500rpm for 1 hour is the test).

Another plus is that this balancer will be nitrided on the steel surfaces and annodized on the aluminum surfaces. Anyone who has a 1-2-3 year old BHJ knows what I'm talking about. How crappy is it to pay big bucks for a balancer only to have it rust on you? The coatings on this balancer will be much tougher than paint and should keep the unit rust free over it's lifetime.

This damper was never intended to be an ultra cheap OE replacement, but rather it is intended to be a less expensive yet superior alternative to what we already have available. If you've been waiting for a better alternative to be offered, this may be just what you have been waiting for...

joshbea6
10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
VERY interested in this one... I hope to see what kind of $numbers we're talkin for this.

Tickler
10-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Wont the outer hub spinning around affect its balance? any idea on the price range? Arent they usually filled with liquid?

Toms-SC
10-30-2006, 10:09 PM
So the biggest question remaining...

How much lighter is this going to make my wallet over stock? :p

XxSlowpokexX
10-31-2006, 01:06 AM
Personally the nicest thing about this peice is that the majority of the balancer weight is in the hub due to its design..WHich is a good thing even if it comes out to be the same weight as even a BHJ

XR7 Dave
10-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Personally the nicest thing about this peice is that the majority of the balancer weight is in the hub due to its design..WHich is a good thing even if it comes out to be the same weight as even a BHJ

That and it properly accepts the stock length crank bolt.

seawalkersee
11-01-2006, 02:26 AM
I will be doing it all over again tomorrow and Sunday for 15 and 16 hours respectively so you will have to be a little patient with the timeline.
Paul

No:D

Seriously though...the fact that Damon mentioned that the majority of the weight is closer to the center is a bonus. NOT TO MENTION the fact that "IT APPEARS" that the approval of Supercoupes Unlimited is on this side. I will agree with the fact that we need the projected price though...and a timeline would be nice. Paul, are you going to be the sole provider/seller to begin with or are others like Dave, Victor, and Bill in on this?

Chris

BT Motorsports
11-01-2006, 03:46 AM
I will agree with the fact that we need the projected price though...and a timeline would be nice. Paul, are you going to be the sole provider/seller to begin with or are others like Dave, Victor, and Bill in on this?

Chris
Details regarding any unanswered questions will come in a few days, you will have to be patient. An informational page should be up on my website in the next 2 days or so and pricing and lead time will be announced very quickly after that.

Paul

seawalkersee
11-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Just giving you a hard time Paul...I will not be able to make the purchase until after the new year. I AM pumped about this though.

Chris

Nettlesd
11-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I take it that this one is different than the one offered by SuperSix Motorsports?

Billet Harmonic Balancer (neutral only)
01-04 3.8ís, 3.9ís, 4.2ís, 4.3 strokers, 94-95 Supercoupes!
SFI approved for you guys in the 11ís. $425

Billet Harmonic Balancer (http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2006catrevForgedInternals.pdf)

XR7 Dave
11-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I take it that this one is different than the one offered by SuperSix Motorsports?

Billet Harmonic Balancer (neutral only)
01-04 3.8ís, 3.9ís, 4.2ís, 4.3 strokers, 94-95 Supercoupes!
SFI approved for you guys in the 11ís. $425

Billet Harmonic Balancer (http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/SSM2006catrevForgedInternals.pdf)

Yes, this is completely different. SSM offers a BHJ SFI balancer, but it's only for late model magnetic-pickup motors. Doesn't work on an 89-93 SC.

Nettlesd
11-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Ok, just wondering.

seawalkersee
11-01-2006, 06:00 PM
I know it may be kind of a strange question, but how is the difference in expansion going to be kept to a minimum with the difference in materials? Is it kind of like the block and head difference? I know there will be heat issues from that but how is the balancer going to stand up to it?

Chris

Mike8675309
11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Most likely it's engineered like you do when you put in a laminate floor, or a concrete driveway. Leave room for expansion. Thus the steel hub against the steel crank.

Unlike a head, the balancer doesn't need to seal anything up so it can have some room to breath.

ss_scuba
11-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Paul, I've seen this style of balancer used on both street and strip only cars. I want one, let us know when you're going to start selling (first time group buy?) and I'll be the first on the list.

Scott

fturner
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM
This is great but I have one concern.... especially when the part will require periodic maintenance....

When the seller announces the fact that he has exclusive rights on it.......

Pay that kind of money, a year later you need maintenance and the seller has moved on, or as we've seen in the past, ran off because some people bad mouthed him about something, or god forbid something horrible happens to him.

Because of this, I'll put the extra out on the BHJ cause several different people sell it.

Sorry, its a great idea, but.....

pablon2
11-02-2006, 06:15 PM
That and it properly accepts the stock length crank bolt.

You've mentioned this a couple times now. Is there an issue with using a stock length crank bolt on my BHJ?

XR7 Dave
11-02-2006, 06:26 PM
You've mentioned this a couple times now. Is there an issue with using a stock length crank bolt on my BHJ?

The BHJ has a thicker hub than stock which reduces the thread engagement. Some people here did a stress analysis and determined that if you torque your stock bolt to spec with a BHJ balancer you are approaching the stress limited of the thread engagement. For this reason Rich Thomson sourced some longer bolts that could be used to replicate stock thread engagement.

No one has experienced a failure with the stock bolt in their BHJ but it's nice to have the part made to stock bolt specs.

pablon2
11-02-2006, 06:45 PM
The BHJ has a thicker hub than stock which reduces the thread engagement. Some people here did a stress analysis and determined that if you torque your stock bolt to spec with a BHJ balancer you are approaching the stress limited of the thread engagement. For this reason Rich Thomson sourced some longer bolts that could be used to replicate stock thread engagement.

No one has experienced a failure with the stock bolt in their BHJ but it's nice to have the part made to stock bolt specs.

Come to think of it...I ordered a longer bolt from SCP when I got my BHJ a couple years ago.

Nettlesd
11-02-2006, 06:47 PM

I know this was discussed in a previous post but several people (Bill E., Paul (BTM) and a few others) have said that a BHJ didn't even need a bolt.

pablon2
11-02-2006, 06:58 PM
I know this was discussed in a previous post but several people (Bill E., Paul (BTM) and a few others) have said that a BHJ didn't even need a bolt.

Considering how important the damper is....a bolt literally is cheap insurance.

seawalkersee
11-02-2006, 06:59 PM
They probably meant that it did not need a NEW bolt to go with it. It ALWAYS needs a bolt...or you will snap the crank.

Chris

XR7 Dave
11-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Not so as far as I know.
I have from day one recomended the use of a longer bolt beginning back when Fred informed me of it. This was discussed some time ago and I have stated on numerous occasions not to use the crank bolt from the mustang. The longer bolt is easily located from any fastener supply house or online and I have personally offered it in the past. I cannot make people do something they dont want to obviously.

Paul

Rich Thomson actually made the biggest stink about the longer bolt so you have 2 vendors who knew about the problem and did their best to put the message out there.

Nettlesd
11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Good read about the BHJ and the longer bolt. I would read the whole thread and then draw your own conclusions.

BHJ and longer bolt (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46828&highlight=BHJ+LONGER+BOLT)

rzimmerl
11-02-2006, 10:11 PM
a rule I have always went by for design and selection fasteners is, the thread engagement length should be equal to or greater than 1.5x the diameter of the fastener. I'll have to dig out my books and check that.

90XR7Cougar5spd
11-03-2006, 01:42 AM
One thing i would like to know, is how are we going to know when this unit needs rebuilt??

Derek

BT Motorsports
11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I know it may be kind of a strange question, but how is the difference in expansion going to be kept to a minimum with the difference in materials? Is it kind of like the block and head difference? I know there will be heat issues from that but how is the balancer going to stand up to it?

Chris
I think you are envissioning it to work differently than it does. The aluminum and steel pieces are bolted together, not a press fit so expansion is not a concern. The friction material rides against a steel ring and is self adjusting. We are not talking about a thin piece of friction material either, this is a significantly thick piece of material designed for long life and wear characteristics along with the chosen steel it contacts.

This is great but I have one concern.... especially when the part will require periodic maintenance....

When the seller announces the fact that he has exclusive rights on it.......

Pay that kind of money, a year later you need maintenance and the seller has moved on, or as we've seen in the past, ran off because some people bad mouthed him about something, or god forbid something horrible happens to him.

Because of this, I'll put the extra out on the BHJ cause several different people sell it.

Sorry, its a great idea, but.....Periodic matenance is an exageration. As I stated previously, this unit is designed with over 100k mile intervals in mind. The design concept has been around for decades and is long since proven. The fact that it is rebuildable has been stated simply for the peace of mind that should it ever wear out, unlike an elastomer damper, it will not leave you stuck buying another. Worst case scenario, if the manufacturer were to stop servicing this unit, there would be a company, individuals or several that would and could service it........ just like ESM, MP etc do for Eaton superchargers. I believe I also stated it will have a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty which matches the BHJ. I also have not yet announced how this unit will be available for purchase. Simply put, just because I brought it to market does not mean I will be the sole source for purchase, you are making an assumption. If you or anyone for that matter is uncomfortable with the product, please do us both a favor and do not purchase it. This product is intended to meet the needs of a specific client base, if it does not meet your needs, you will likely be unhappy with it as a result (just like any other product). I would much rather not have an unhappy customer than to make a sale that will create agony for all interested partys down the road.

I know this was discussed in a previous post but several people (Bill E., Paul (BTM) and a few others) have said that a BHJ didn't even need a bolt.Duane, I do not see where I stated a BHJ does not need a bolt.
Good read about the BHJ and the longer bolt. I would read the whole thread and then draw your own conclusions.

BHJ and longer boltI fail to see the relevance of the bolt and the BHJ to this product. The product has been designed to utilize the readily available Mustang V6 harmonic damper bolt, do you have an issue with that? If so, please state it directly, otherwise, let's stay on topic.

One thing i would like to know, is how are we going to know when this unit needs rebuilt??

DerekDerek, though we cannot duplicate a real world 100k+ miles in a few weeks, the testing performed and the data from SFI testing indicate a significant service interval beyond 100k miles. One of the reasons for the delay in pricing release is because I want to also include the inspection and rebuild (this should really be called a refurbishment fee) costs. The rebuild will simply be a change out of the friction material and associated components within the outer section. We are evaluating offering a simple core exchange option where the customer can get a brand new outer section and send in his old cold to eliminate any down time.

BTW, a significant point to note.
several people have inquired why I have chosen to offer this product rather than continue to offer the BHJ unit. The primary reason is simple. My BHJ, which was part of the first group buy years ago (under 4 if I recall correctly), was recently removed from the engine it has serviced for roughly 15k miles. After cleaning off the significant amount of rust, I had determined that the elastomer was extremely hard, harder than the very same but brand new BHJ I had on the shelf and it was also showing signs of delaminating in a small area! BHJ would not warranty it. Considering I have a 7000 RPM capable engine that sees extended periods of time at that speed, my comfort level just was not there.
The secondary reason is because the overall cost and performance of this unit far outweighs the BHJ and we need a readily available, cost effective SFI unit. This piece fits the bill and at a lighter weight and lower MSRP than the BHJ.

Paul

P.S. If anyone else has any questions, please be sure to ask. I am in the process of putting together the informational web page and will incorporate an FAQ section to address questions just like those previously presented here.

David Neibert
11-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Paul,

Exactly what was BHJ's response ? Did they think the balancer was okay or did they deny warranty because of the time span ?

David

Nettlesd
11-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Duane, I do not see where I stated a BHJ does not need a bolt.

Ok, agreed. I was just going on what you said below in a round about way. Nothing to make an issue out of since people will do what they want to do, anyway.

The bolt is not what keeps the balancer on the crank anyway, it simply keeps it centered and perpendicular to the snout, the press fit and key keep the balancer in place.

I fail to see the relevance of the bolt and the BHJ to this product. The product has been designed to utilize the readily available Mustang V6 harmonic damper bolt, do you have an issue with that? If so, please state it directly, otherwise, let's stay on topic.

Also agree. I only mentioned it because there was some talk about a bolt a few posts up.

XR7 Dave
11-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I only mentioned it because there was some talk about a bolt a few posts up.

Duane, I am the one who mentioned the hub depth and the use of the stock bolt on this damper. No one else did and I didn't mention it as a primary benefit, only as an off-hand comment. I had no idea it would be such a big deal. I've installed many BHJ's and I always cringe when tightening the bolt. I know how a good bolt feels when approaching torque spec and this one doesn't feel right and therefore I usually stop at about 80 ftlbs. Is that enough to keep the bolt from ever working loose? I hope so. :confused:

As has been stated the bolt does not carry the load of the damper, it's purpose is to keep the damper tight and the friction fit is what carries the load on the damper. As any engineer knows, in order for a bolt to generate proper clamping force and retain it's tightness or "tension" that keeps it from coming loose, a certain amount of stretch needs to be induced into the threads. In order to put proper stretch on the threads of a bolt that size you need to use the torque spec. When you don't have the specified thread engagement it becomes difficult for a mechanic (or backyarder) to know what the correct torque should be. Having the right amount of thread engagement simply eliminates that guesswork (And for those who are thinking "lock-tite", just say no. Thank you).

As I said in my first response, no one has reported any failures nor do I expect them to. As I also said above, this is not a major selling feature of the new balancer, merely a fact that I felt was relevant and that is why I pointed it out.

David

Nettlesd
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
No one else did and I didn't mention it as a primary benefit, only as an off-hand comment. I had no idea it would be such a big deal.

It's not a big deal to me. Now, back to the topic at hand. :)

BT Motorsports
11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Paul,

Exactly what was BHJ's response ? Did they think the balancer was okay or did they deny warranty because of the time span ?

David
Denied due to the length of time since purchase.

Paul

fturner
11-03-2006, 02:43 PM
I was not implying I would be unhappy with it.... the part that makes me uncomfortable with it is the part where you stated you had quote-unquote

"I entered into an exclusinve agreement to "

which usually implies you will be the only one that will be selling and there will be no other sources.

If several people where able to sell and service this product then I'm all for it and will gladly order 1 up for my rebuild.

Think of it this way, if I bought your unit and you where the only source to have it serviced etc, and the friction material let go for some reason because it was defective after a month of using it and you where no where to be found........

Young-SC-Owner
11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
did anyone mention a price?

Mike8675309
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Price is to be announced in an upcoming group buy but I will say that regular pricing will be cheaper than the BHJ.

Should have checked out the post on page 1

XxSlowpokexX
11-07-2006, 01:51 PM
The fact that it is rebuildable has been stated simply for the peace of mind that should it ever wear out, unlike an elastomer damper

You can rebuild them as well ya know..Unless of course you let it go to the point of no return..As with anything..A rebuild cost would far outweight buying a new one

Lunch time~!

BT Motorsports
11-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Pricing and group purchase information will be posted by the end of the day in the Group Purchases / Specials forum (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44). The following informational page will be live by 6am central time:
www.BlueTongueMotorsports.com/BTMParts/SFI_Dampers/SCDSFI.htm

Paul

BT Motorsports
11-08-2006, 04:02 AM
ooops, double post.

Kurt K
11-08-2006, 08:35 AM
The following informational page will be live by 6am central time:
www.BlueTongueMotorsports.com/BTMParts/SFI_Dampers/SCDSFI.htm

Paul

**Tapping foot**

It's 6:35 AM CST and no page :D

I'm sure you will get the page up when you can.

BT Motorsports
11-08-2006, 08:50 AM
**Tapping foot**

It's 6:35 AM CST and no page :D

I'm sure you will get the page up when you can.

The link is live, I had to correct a typo. Should be working fine now.

Paul

Kurt K
11-08-2006, 08:53 AM
The link is live, I had to correct a typo. Should be working fine now.

Paul
Just busting your chops, I see the link is now active. Good job sourcing this!

90blkbrd
11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
What happened to it being cheaper than a BHJ?

BT Motorsports
11-08-2006, 07:14 PM
What happened to it being cheaper than a BHJ?
Unless I missed something, I don't recall myself or anyone else posting actual pricing for this unit that is more than the BHJ. If you are referring to MSRP, you need to reread the webpage again regarding pricing and discounts. BTW, MSRP is $519.94 for an SFI approved BHJ!

Paul

90blkbrd
11-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Unless I missed something, I don't recall myself or anyone else posting actual pricing for this unit that is more than the BHJ. If you are referring to MSRP, you need to reread the webpage again regarding pricing and discounts. BTW, MSRP is $519.94 for an SFI approved BHJ!

Paul

I guess when you said:

Price is to be announced in an upcoming group buy but I will say that regular pricing will be cheaper than the BHJ.

You meant:

Price is to be announced in an upcoming group buy, but I will say that regular pricing will be cheaper than the SFI approved BHJ.

Sorry, my mis-understanding.

Mike8675309
11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I guess when you said:

You meant:

Price is to be announced in an upcoming group buy, but I will say that regular pricing will be cheaper than the SFI approved BHJ.

You're not the only one. That's what early adopters get, mis-understandings.

rzimmerl
11-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Look in the Group Purchases Forum Dave just posted prices. We definately need to get more people on this, the price really drops the more people we get.

BT Motorsports
11-09-2006, 01:46 AM
Quote:

I guess when you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Motorsports View Post
You meant:

No, I meant what I typed, the pricing David posted for the group buy is cheaper (even a single unit) than the BHJ units (SFI or not) whether you purchased a BHJ from me, Bill or Victor.

Everyone is concerned with the price, however, I have yet to see anyone mention a comparison of the warranty offered between this unit and the other options out there, just a little food for thought...........

Paul

rzimmerl
11-09-2006, 11:47 AM
Can we get some details on the tolerance needed for the interference fit. Just gathering details for the honing that will need to be done. Is it the same as the BHJ +.001" - +.0015"?

BT Motorsports
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Interference fit will be between .001" and .0015".

Paul

ss_scuba
11-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Paul/Dave,

Will the balancers come engraved with the factory timing marks? I forgot to ask this earlier.

BT Motorsports
11-11-2006, 06:41 AM
Paul/Dave,

Will the balancers come engraved with the factory timing marks? I forgot to ask this earlier.
Yes.

Paul