what would u say abouit 87

92sclikenew

what would u say abouit 87 octain in a thunderbird sc thats is bone stock the onwers manual i got say it is ok depending on wether conditoins

No. Never. Spend the extra $ or you'll get a hell of a lot of detenation even if you try to be easy on the throttle.
What owners manual says regular gas is ok in a SC?

say the 1 that i have with my car i run 87 in it a few time and no probs it runs very well i cant even tell any motor or any thing about the car felling or runing diff and if this is so could my car have somthing wrong with it

Last edited:
you should be ok if you stay out of the throttle, that means NO BOOST! i never tried it because i knew as soon as i did, there would be some jerk and id just have to blow his doors off!

I say turn your radio down so you can hear the pinging. Next, offer your SC up to the community to someone that'll put premium in it. :D

well it dont ping and i do put premuim in it
and no im not sellin my sc ive had it for almost 3years and it has 102000 miles on it new rebuild trans headgaskets at 75000miles and alkinds of other sc probs so i do take care of my car its just a ? and i have done it b4 when i first got the car cuz i didnt relize it so:p :p :p :p lol:D

I think all the tbird manuals were the same for LX and SC models. If it says premium on your speedo you best be useing 92+ octane or you will know what its like to have holes in your pistons:eek:

what would u say abouit 87 octain in a thunderbird sc thats is bone stock the onwers manual i got say it is ok depending on wether conditoins

Well since you obviously know better than everyone else around here....... go for it :D .... and why the heck did you ask us anyway if your not gonna listen to anyone...............

I've got a set of pistons I pulled out of a low mileage motor that the guy that had it ran 87.............. and the car was totally stock..... glad they ain't in my SC thats for sure.......

But of course you know better and its your car (thank god it ain't mine)

My owner's manual for my 89 states on page 204 "lower rated unleaded fuel with an anti-knock index rating of 87 or higher may be used, if necessary" In a pinch you can use 87 if 91+ is not available. I have used reg once only because I had no choice being below "E" and just left of nowhere in New Mexico.

It has been proven time and time again that you WILL get less power AND less mpg by running reg in an engine designed for premium.

By running premium fuel you will make up some of the extra 20 cents per gallon by the incr mileage alone not to mention less stress on your engine (this means you spend less time/money on repairs) than by running the incorrect fuel.

My 89 has more mileage than yours and still has the original HGs and my factory spark plugs still looked good after 90k when I changed them.

Just because it seems to work does not mean its the best option...would you start using 5w20 oil if it would save you 2 bucks on your oil change? It would drive fine for a while untill a bearing spun.

You've had the car for only 3 years listen to someone who gave their 89 its first oil change.

well first off all u guys dont have 2 b ~~~~~~~s its just a ? and i didnt say it like i didnt relizie it took 92+ im sayin i hit the regulur botton on the pump and ended up putiing in 87 cuz i did this 2 times sence i owned the car and i be workin on cars for over 12 years :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

well first off all u guys dont have 2 b ~~~~~~~s its just a ? and i didnt say it like i didnt relizie it took 92+ im sayin i hit the regulur botton on the pump and ended up putiing in 87 cuz i did this 2 times sence i owned the car and i be workin on cars for over 12 years :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We just responded to what you had posted. Sounds like now you are changing your tune. Now you say you put 87 in it twice. Earlier you said, and I quote, "say the 1 that i have with my car i run 87 in it all the time and no probs it runs very well i cant even tell any motor or any thing about the car felling or runing diff and if this is so could my car have somthing wrong with it." I could be wrong because the line is kinda confusing, but it sounds like you run 87 regularly. Don't get mad at us just because you are changing your story to cover up what you maybe didn't want us to know. Keep asking around, you'll eventually find someone to agree with you that running 87 in an SC is fine. P.S. don't waste your time typing profanity, George is gonna take it out anyhow. That's how it works around here, and frankly the board is better for it.

man ima send u a bag of aluminum cans and that would make the 20 cent difference between 87 and whatever the hell ur higher octane is! dude. spend the extra money on the higher octane... ur engine will love u for it...

ATT00002.jpg
ATT00001.jpg
ATT00000.jpg

this is what going to happend when you run regular in booster engine, this is from mine old engine when I bought it.

If you are not going to take anybody's advice or listen to what people say, then why ask the question? Some people here are trying to help you out, take the advice or leave it.

Back