PDA

View Full Version : No more auto headlights...

DutchSCFan76
10-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Today, all of a sudden my headlights wont come on (auto headlights).
Last time i drove it, it was fine! I get in the car today, and nothing came on. Had to pull the manual knob.

I check the connector for the autodim controls, and they were fine. Manual the lights works as they should. I've read something about dual coil relay that might gone bad, or the sensor?

What else can i check for (with a voltmeter)?
Is there some sort of a flowchart to follow, so i can pinpoint the problem instead of replacing all relative parts?

thanks
edit: some typos

fturner
10-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Are you talking about the daytime running light feature where the high beams come on at about 3/4 brightness, or the auto on feature that turns all your lights in at a certain level of darkness?

If its the DRL's, then the module that is behind the front bumper on the driver's side is probably done for.

shadow357x2
10-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I didnt thnk the 89s had DRL's on them unless it could be and aftermarket mod.
Ill look and see if I can find my schematics for it here and email them to you if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

S

DutchSCFan76
10-29-2006, 03:30 PM
don't mean DRL, i mean the lights come on automatically if its dark enough outside. plus the lights will stay on for x seconds after you pulled the key out ([email protected]).

i have the autodim mirror too.

Yeah the 89 came with those luxury too :D

fturner
10-29-2006, 03:38 PM
I didnt thnk the 89s had DRL's on them unless it could be and aftermarket mod.
Ill look and see if I can find my schematics for it here and email them to you if someone else doesnt beat me to it.

S

The DRL's where a rare commodity in the US but here in Canada and much of Europe, it was a requirement for the cars.

For the auto-on feature, I'm not sure as I leave mine off. I don't think mine are working right as I drove under a bright light one night and my lights went off for a few seconds. Another time I drove past a transport truck and they went off again on me :eek: .

A little too sensitive for my liking ;).

DutchSCFan76
10-29-2006, 04:02 PM
anyone? with some technical skills who know bout this problem himself and fixed it?

S_Mazza
10-30-2006, 02:19 PM
I think there is a testing flowchart in the shop manual, but I don't have it with me. Maybe someone has the electronic version so they could post the relevant sections?

birds4us
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
First thing I would do is make sure that all of your fuses are good. Second I would check to make sure that the switch is connected properly. Is there anything that you have done to the car recently? Mabe something got disconnected or became loose?

DutchSCFan76
10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
First thing I would do is make sure that all of your fuses are good. Second I would check to make sure that the switch is connected properly. Is there anything that you have done to the car recently? Mabe something got disconnected or became loose?

Thats the strange thing, i never had any negative issues with them. Last time it was fine, the next day, start her up, and no lights (besides manual switch). Nothing done to it in between.

I sure did checked the connector for the autolights control, they are in place.
Is there a fuse for the autolights. Everything else works (what lighting concerns, in- & outside the car).

Cobra85
10-31-2006, 10:18 AM
It is the dual coil relay that has gone south. It's located under the dash access panel, driver side, to the right. Attached to the dash / console support, black in color approx. 1" x 2-1/2" in size. Just replaced it on my 93 when the parking lights would come on , but not the headlights. You can still find them at some dealers, about 15 dollars.

DutchSCFan76
10-31-2006, 11:14 AM
thnx cobra.

I also suspected that to be the problem. But first i have to test it with a voltmeter.

What part number for a new one?