Not your normal headlight swap ?'s

pipecraze

I have a 94 and call me crazy but I really prefer the 89-93 front/rear. I'm thinking of swaping my 89 headlights, header, hood, bumper and all that onto the 94. Only question I have is the headlight wiring. I'm sure it's possible but can anyone shed some light on how to wire this. I couldn't find anything in the search for this particular swap...only the 89-93 to 94-97 swap.

gonna need new header panel new hood MAYBE older quarter panels not sure new latch and probably other misc stuff

most auto stores should carry the harness you will have to cut the old harness and find out which is the high, low beam and ground. you will have to wire the new harnesses and they will share the ground its not that hard I ran mine through a relay.
I did a swap that used similar lights so if you need more info let me know

Thanks for the info. I'm not familiar with schematics and such so I'm hoping to get a laymans explaination on this. I have a complete 89 parts car to use on the 94 so parts are no problem.

Where did you splice and dice?
Any pics?
Can you explain about adding a relay a bit more?

Thanks so much!

If you're re-using the lightbulb harnesses from the 89 parts car, they should be color coded the same as the late model wiring. So when you cut off the old harness, you can match the colors up to the correct lights.

You shouldnt need a relay unless you're expecting to be pulling more power and want to run them directly to the battery.

- Dan

I did a different swap and plan on doing a HID projector swap so to be on the safe side I did relays.
Three wires go to the headlights=
red w/black stripe low beams
green w/ black stripe high beams
black is the ground
the first pic is the harnesses
Second pic is the three wires coming out of the loom

Attachments

• headlights.JPG
    headlights.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00080.JPG
    DSC00080.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 55
Here's and idea to try - take an old bulb for the '94+ lights and remove the bulb exposing the three leads for low, high and ground. Turn on lights and test leads to see which witch is which.

Rather than splice into the harness, use the bulb base to create a new harness with the new bulb socket at one end and a low beam socket from any Ford headlight wiring harness to plug into a Comp Ltd. wiring harness.

Get a '89-'93 Comp Ltd. wiring harness - includes relays - so both high and low can be on at the same time. Tape off the headlight plug on the passenger side and use the drivers' side to hook up the headlight switch to open the relays - the harness does the rest.

I'm going to try this on my '95 - using the inner parking light as a high beam light and the regular lens as low beam.

Good luck.

Mark
'95 SC 5spd

.......I'm going to try this on my '95 - using the inner parking light as a high beam light and the regular lens as low beam........

Good luck.

Mark
'95 SC 5spd

Nice idea, but unless you refocus that lens in the inner parking light, its going to be useless as a high beam, as it will be dispersed way to much to be effective.... and you may melt the casing as the bulb may end up too close to the housing itself.

Nice idea though :).... of course the other thing you could do that I'm looking at doing on my '94lx is putting a clear bulb in instead of the orange.

I haven't looked at the angle of the '95 lens or how close bulb will sit to rear of housing. I do know that in my '93 the bulbs did deform the top part of the plastic housing from heat on both low and high setting.

Did you rearrange the wiring on the inner lamp when you changed to a white bulb? Or does it still blink when turn signals are on?

Thanks for the info.

Mark
'95 SC 5spd

No plug change required for the white bulb as far as I know. On my '94 the inside light doesn't blink.

Back